Is the Modulus of a Tensor Calculated Differently Than a Vector?

In summary, the magnitude of a vector can be calculated using ##\sqrt{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}}## because it relates to our physical world. However, when it comes to tensors of rank 2, there is no specific magnitude that corresponds to physical concepts. The most common norms for tensors include the trace and the Euclidean norm using diagonal elements, but there are many others as well.
Jhenrique
I was thinking... if the modulus of a vector can be calculated by ##\sqrt{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}}##, thus the modulus of a tensor (of rank 2) wouldn't be ##\sqrt{\mathbf{T}:\mathbf{T}}## ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Using ##\sqrt{\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}}## for the magnitude of a vector makes sense because the Euclidean norm (which that is) relates to our world. I am definitely not the most well versed in tensors in general, but my understanding is that there is no particular idea of a magnitude that makes similar physical sense.

The most common norms that I recall were the trace (which is only a norm if you take the magnitude of the diagonal elements?) and the Euclidean norm using the diagonal elements. I think that might be the what you wrote, but I'm not very familiar with that notation. I think that there are many others too, but those are the only ones that I ever used.

1. What is the modulus of a tensor?

The modulus of a tensor is a measure of its magnitude or size. It is a scalar value that represents the overall strength or intensity of the tensor.

2. How is the modulus of a tensor calculated?

The modulus of a tensor is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared elements of the tensor. This is also known as the tensor norm or Frobenius norm.

3. What is the significance of the modulus of a tensor?

The modulus of a tensor is important because it provides information about the strength and direction of the tensor's components. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to analyze and model physical systems.

4. Can the modulus of a tensor be negative?

No, the modulus of a tensor is always a positive value. It represents the magnitude of the tensor and therefore cannot be negative.

5. How does the modulus of a tensor relate to other tensor properties?

The modulus of a tensor is related to other tensor properties such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It is also used in conjunction with other tensor operations such as multiplication, addition, and inversion.