Question Regarding Capacitance And Inductance

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find capacitance using initial charge, inductance, and energy in a home study course on dynamic fields and waves. The previous section taught how to find maximum current using Um=1/2 LI2, but the method for finding capacitance is unclear. The solution is to use the definition of capacitance and the energy stored in a capacitor equation to find C = ½ Q^2 / E.
bobbles22
Hi there,

I'm doing a home study course including a section on dynamic fields and waves. I am trying to understand how to find capacitance using initial charge, inductance and energy.

From a previous section, I know I can find the maximum current using Um=1/2 LI2

However, I can't see how to find the capacitance. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks

Bob

Engineering news on Phys.org
bobbles22 said:
Hi there,

I'm doing a home study course including a section on dynamic fields and waves. I am trying to understand how to find capacitance using initial charge, inductance and energy.

From a previous section, I know I can find the maximum current using Um=1/2 LI2

However, I can't see how to find the capacitance. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks

Bob

What does the circuit look like? Can you upload a PDF?

Knowing the initial charge and energy should be enough to compute capacitance.

From the definition of capacitance, C = Q / V
therefore V = Q / C.

We know that the energy stored in a capacitor is, E = ½ C V^2

therefore E = ½ C (Q/C)^2
so E = ½ Q^2 / C
hence C = ½ Q^2 / E.

Its a simple circuit with just a capacitor and a solenoid, nothing else

Hello Bob,

To find capacitance using initial charge, inductance, and energy, you can use the equation C=Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the initial charge, and V is the voltage. This equation can also be rearranged to V=Q/C, which can be used to find the voltage if you have the capacitance and initial charge.

In terms of energy, you can use the equation E=1/2 CV2, where E is the energy, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. This equation can also be rearranged to V=sqrt(2E/C), which can be used to find the voltage if you have the energy and capacitance.

I hope this helps and points you in the right direction. Good luck with your studies!

Best,

1. What is the difference between capacitance and inductance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electrical charge, while inductance is the ability of a system to store energy in a magnetic field.

2. How are capacitance and inductance related?

Capacitance and inductance are related through the concept of reactance. Reactance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current and is affected by both capacitance and inductance. In a circuit, capacitance and inductance can cancel each other out, leading to resonance.

3. How is capacitance measured?

Capacitance is measured in units called farads (F) and is typically measured using a device called a capacitor meter. The capacitance of a capacitor can also be calculated by dividing the charge stored on the capacitor by the voltage across it.

4. What factors affect capacitance and inductance?

The main factors affecting capacitance are the distance between the plates of a capacitor, the surface area of the plates, and the dielectric material between the plates. The main factors affecting inductance are the number of turns in a coil, the radius of the coil, and the type of core material used in the coil.

5. How is capacitance and inductance used in electronic circuits?

Capacitors and inductors are essential components in many electronic circuits. They are used for filtering, tuning, and energy storage purposes. They can also be used in combination with other components, such as resistors, to create various types of filters and oscillators.