Knock sensor and progressive Leds

In summary, the conversation discusses detecting detonation in a SI engine using a knock sensor and the desire to add a visual output via LEDs. Suggestions are made for using a peak detector or peak to peak detector with a sample and hold, as well as searching for "vu meter circuits." The idea of using an LM3916 is also mentioned, along with a link to a diagram for a possible solution.
varnish
I am detecting detonation in a SI engine using a knock sensor (pizeo element).
What I would really like is to have 3 leds that light up as the knock gets more severe.

I have the knock sensor running into an op amp powered by a 9v battery. I am listening to the output with a pair of head phones, but I would like to add a visual output.

The knock sensor is a pizeo element, so as I understand it the more aggressive the engine is knocking the greater the output voltage will be from the sensor.

I was hoping to do something like this;
First led to light when the output from the op amp is between 1-3 volts, the second to come on at 3-6 volts and the third to light up between 6-9 volts.
(arbitrary values I'm not sure what the actual output voltages are, but you get the idea).

The idea is that when no knock is present no lights are on, and under heavy knock all three lights are on.

Any input would be greatly received.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably a simple peak detector or peak to peak detector with a sample and hold on the output. This would drive a comparator to light the LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

I would suggest using a microcontroller to process the output from the knock sensor and control the LEDs accordingly. This would allow for more precise and customizable thresholds for each LED, as well as the ability to adjust the thresholds as needed. Additionally, the microcontroller could also be programmed to log and record the knock data, providing more detailed information for analysis. Using a microcontroller would also eliminate the need for a separate op amp and could potentially reduce the power consumption of the system. Overall, this approach would provide a more efficient and accurate way to monitor and visualize engine knock.

1. What is a knock sensor and how does it work?

A knock sensor is a small sensor that is designed to detect vibrations or knocking noises in an engine. It works by converting these vibrations into electrical signals, which are then sent to the engine control unit to make adjustments to the timing and fuel injection in order to prevent engine knocking.

2. What are the benefits of using a knock sensor?

The main benefit of using a knock sensor is that it helps to prevent engine damage and improve performance. By detecting and reacting to engine knocking, the knock sensor allows the engine to run at its optimal level, avoiding potential damage and ensuring smooth operation.

3. How does a knock sensor affect fuel consumption?

A knock sensor can help to improve fuel consumption by ensuring that the engine is running at its most efficient level. By detecting and preventing engine knocking, the knock sensor allows the engine to use the right amount of fuel for optimal performance, reducing fuel waste and improving overall fuel economy.

4. What is the purpose of progressive LEDs in relation to a knock sensor?

Progressive LEDs, also known as shift lights, are often used in conjunction with a knock sensor to provide visual cues for the driver. These lights are designed to indicate when the engine is close to knocking, allowing the driver to adjust their driving accordingly and prevent potential engine damage.

5. Can a knock sensor fail or malfunction?

Like any electronic component, a knock sensor can fail or malfunction over time. This can be due to wear and tear, exposure to extreme temperatures, or other factors. It is important to regularly check and replace a faulty knock sensor to ensure the engine is running at its best and to prevent potential damage.