Clarification Regarding the conditions for STP

by Conservation
Tags: clarification, conditions
Share this thread:
Conservation
Apr12-14, 11:00 AM
P: 31
Hello all,

I am currently in possession of two chemistry textbooks, Changs and Atkins, which I believe are both fairly new versions. Changs defines STP at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atm, and Atkins defines STP at 25 degrees Celsius and 1 bar; I understand that numerically it would not make a huge difference (1 atm=101.3 kpa=almost 100 kpa), but which is technically correct?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists make diseased cells synthesize their own drug
Biochemists find new treatment options for staph infections, inflammatory diseases
New synthesis method may shape future of nanostructures, clean energy
Borek
Apr12-14, 11:14 AM
Admin
P: 23,602
There is no one, universally accepted definition of STP. Bar is a recommended pressure for a standard state.
Yanick
Apr12-14, 04:45 PM
P: 383
Atmospheres were used for something like 100 years until "they" decided to switch standard pressure to 1 bar. Numerically they are nearly identical, obviously.

Ref: http://goldbook.iupac.org/S05921.html
(Getting a lot of mileage out of IUPAC today )

Register to reply