Thermo Polyurathane Injection Moulding - TPU barrel life test

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's job at a company that manufactures TPU screen filters for the mining industry. They mention a test they are conducting to inspect the quality of the TPU material after being in the heated barrel of an injection molding machine for extended periods of time due to breaks and maintenance. The speaker also requests feedback on their preliminary method for casting test samples.
Michael V
I work at a company that manufactures TPU screen filters for the mining industry. I've got a test to do to inspect whether the qaulity of the TPU is affected by time in the heated barrel of the injection moulding machine. The TPU material sits in the barrel due to tea and lunch breaks (15 - 30 minutes), also through maintenance and shift change (up to an hour downtime for maintenance). Attatched is my preliminary method for casting my test samples. If anyone could just have a look at it and give me feedback, it would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• Thermo Polyurathane Injection Moulding - TPU barrel life test.docx
    12.3 KB · Views: 230
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is Thermo Polyurathane Injection Moulding (TPU)?

Thermo Polyurathane Injection Moulding (TPU) is a manufacturing process in which molten polyurethane material is injected into a mold to create a desired shape or product. This process is commonly used for producing items such as shoes, automotive parts, and medical devices.

2. What is a TPU barrel life test?

A TPU barrel life test is a procedure used to determine the lifespan of the barrel, or container, used in the injection moulding process for TPU materials. This test involves subjecting the barrel to high temperatures and pressures, similar to those used in the production process, for a specified period of time to assess its durability and potential for wear and tear.

3. Why is a TPU barrel life test important?

A TPU barrel life test is important because it helps manufacturers determine the expected lifespan of the barrel used in the TPU injection moulding process. This information is crucial for planning maintenance schedules, predicting production costs, and ensuring product quality and consistency.

4. How is a TPU barrel life test conducted?

A TPU barrel life test is typically conducted by heating the barrel to a specific temperature, usually around 200-250 degrees Celsius, and applying pressure using a ram or screw. The barrel is then allowed to cool and the wear and tear on its surface is assessed using various methods, such as visual inspection or measuring its inner diameter.

5. What factors can affect the results of a TPU barrel life test?

Several factors can affect the results of a TPU barrel life test, including the type and quality of the TPU material being used, the temperature and pressure conditions during the test, and the design and condition of the barrel itself. Other factors such as the frequency of use and maintenance of the barrel may also impact its lifespan.