How do the different concepts of integration fit together?

In summary, the conversation discusses the abstractions of integration and differentiation from single-variable calculus to multi-variable calculus. The derivative of a function abstracts to the Jacobian matrix, and the integral of that derivative abstracts to the integral of the Jacobian matrix. The value of the integral depends on the trajectory from the point ##a## to the point ##b##. The concept of line integrals and multiple integrals are connected, but they can also be thought of independently. The concept of surface integrals is also mentioned. Integration is a process and a tool with many uses. The relationship between the area differential ##dA## and the vector differential ##dx## is discussed, along with how they fit into the abstractions of integration and
V0ODO0CH1LD
I'm making this new post in the general math section since I don't know what field of math this question belongs to anymore.

So the picture I currently have regarding the abstractions of integration and differentiation from single variable-calculus to multi-variable calculus is that the derivative of a function ##f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^m## abstracts to the Jacobian matrix ##J_f## and that the integral of that derivative abstracts to
[tex] \int_a^bJ_f\cdot{}dx [/tex]
where ##a,b\in\mathbb{R}^n## and ##dx=\langle{}dx_1,dx_2,\ldots,dx_n\rangle##. And this picture makes sense to me because
[tex] \int_a^bJ_f\cdot{}dx=f(b)-f(a) [/tex]
where ##f(a)=\langle{}f_1(a),f_2(a),\ldots,f_m(a)\rangle##. This is all in the case that ##f## is a function such that
[tex] f(x_1,\dots,x_n)= \langle{}f_1(x_1,\dots,x_n),\ldots,f_m(x_1,\dots,x_n)\rangle. [/tex]
Also in this picture, in addition to the usual linear operator nature of ##J_f## it also induces a function ##J_f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^{nm}##. However not every function ##F:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^{nm}## is the Jacobian of a function ##f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^m##. But provided a trajectory from the point ##a## to the point ##b## (both in ##\mathbb{R}##) the function ##F## can still be integrated the same way as above, although the fundamental theorem of calculus won't apply (i.e. the value of the integral depends on the trajectory).

If this picture is correct (is it?) then my first question is where does the multiple integral fit in it? I realize that there exists an ambiguity in single-variable calculus that the line integral and the multiple integral are basically the same thing, right? But since in vector calculus two points do not specify a closed subset of the domain anymore these two concepts start to differ. Also, I know there are connections between the concepts of line integrals and multiple integrals (via things like Stoke's theorem), but what I am wondering is how to think of them independently so then I can think of these "bridges" between concepts. Unless these "bridges" are the only way to get there :)

The other thing I was trying to fit in this picture is the concept of the surface integral.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The line integral you described does not represent a complete definition, just like when you first learned to integrate along an axis.

You are not so much learning different ideas of integration but different parts of the same idea.
As you advance you fit it all together.

Integration is a process rather than a thing - a tool - it may have a number of uses.

How does the line integral not represent a complete definition? What is missing from that picture? What is this definition of integrals that I should be looking into to understand how all of this fits together?

In the mean time, let me ask a more specific question. If we choose to abstract the domain of functions from single-variable calculus to ##\mathbb{R}^n## I can see how the Jacobian matrix and the vector differential ##dx=\langle{}dx_1,dx_2,\ldots,dx_n\rangle## get along, but how does (for instance) the area differential ##dA## fit in with all this? It is definitely not an element of the domain. Is it a subset of the domain, or an element of some other set? If we choose to abstract ##dx## from single variable calculus to ##dA## and the integral to multiple integrals does differentiation still abstract to the Jacobian matrix? What is the picture here?

1. What is integration?

Integration is the process of combining or merging different elements, ideas, or concepts into a unified whole. In science, integration is often used to bring together different disciplines or fields of study to better understand complex phenomena.

2. How do the different concepts of integration relate to each other?

The different concepts of integration, such as interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and transdisciplinary approaches, all involve the combination of different perspectives, methods, and knowledge to address a common problem or question. However, they differ in the level of collaboration and integration among disciplines.

3. What is the difference between interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches?

Interdisciplinary approaches involve collaboration and integration across multiple disciplines, with the goal of creating a new understanding or solution that could not be achieved by any single discipline alone. Multidisciplinary approaches, on the other hand, involve the combination of different disciplines, but without necessarily integrating their perspectives or methods.

4. How does transdisciplinary integration differ from interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches?

Transdisciplinary integration goes beyond interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches by not only combining different disciplines, but also integrating them into a new, holistic framework. This approach aims to develop a deeper understanding of complex systems and address real-world problems that cannot be solved by a single discipline or even a combination of disciplines.

5. What are the benefits of using integrated approaches in science?

Integrated approaches in science can lead to a more comprehensive understanding of complex phenomena, as well as innovative and effective solutions to problems. They also promote collaboration and communication among different disciplines, breaking down silos and fostering a more holistic approach to research and problem-solving.