Register to reply

Question about tap water in Dallas

by alteredmind
Tags: dallas, water
Share this thread:
alteredmind
#1
Jul10-14, 06:05 AM
P: 12
What are the facts about water, if I drink water that has mercury in it or led, can it mess up your brain and/or body? also if I drink running water compared to water that has sat in a water bottle for months or more is there a difference and will that effect my body?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists make diseased cells synthesize their own drug
Biochemists find new treatment options for staph infections, inflammatory diseases
New synthesis method may shape future of nanostructures, clean energy
Borek
#2
Jul10-14, 06:15 AM
Admin
Borek's Avatar
P: 23,601
Yes, mercury and lead are dangerous. Note however that it is a dose that makes the poison - some levels are perfectly acceptable.

I see no question in your second statement.
alteredmind
#3
Jul10-14, 06:24 AM
P: 12
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Yes, mercury and lead are dangerous. Note however that it is a dose that makes the poison - some levels are perfectly acceptable.

I see no question in your second statement.
what levels are exeptable? and shouldn't there be no mercury or led in there at all. also is bottled water that remained in a bottle for a while or more then a month, relate to my first post please.

alteredmind
#4
Jul10-14, 06:28 AM
P: 12
Question about tap water in Dallas

I edited my post, see my first post again.
Borek
#5
Jul10-14, 06:58 AM
Admin
Borek's Avatar
P: 23,601
Quote Quote by alteredmind View Post
what levels are exeptable?
No idea - these are defined by the gov agencies, based on the scientific research about possible health problems.

and shouldn't there be no mercury or led in there at all.
I doubt you will find a single natural source of water on the whole Earth, that will have water that is chemically pure and doesn't contain traces of every possible element. That's just the way it is. Some sources have higher concentrations, some have lower.

also is bottled water that remained in a bottle for a while or more then a month
Chemical composition of the water stored for long should not change (unless it leached something from the tank it was stored in). I would be more afraid of possible bacterial contamination, fresh tap water is typically sterilized and quite safe.
phinds
#6
Jul10-14, 07:50 AM
PF Gold
phinds's Avatar
P: 6,364
I have read, but cannot provide sources so you have to take this as purely anecdotal, that studies have shown (MUCH to my amazement which is why I remember it) that elements DO leach from plastic water bottles into the water, although over a long period of time (years, not weeks or months) and that this can be unhealthy.
256bits
#7
Jul10-14, 08:59 PM
P: 1,484
I have read, but cannot provide sources so you have to take this as purely anecdotal, that studies have shown (MUCH to my amazement which is why I remember it) that elements DO leach from plastic water bottles into the water, although over a long period of time (years, not weeks or months) and that this can be unhealthy.
Are you referring to BPA - Bisphenol A. Or leaching in generl from plastics.
Polycarbonate plastics have many applications including use in some food and drink packaging, e.g., water and infant bottles, compact discs, impact-resistant safety equipment, and medical devices. Epoxy resins are used as lacquers to coat metal products such as food cans, bottle tops, and water supply pipes. Some dental sealants and composites may also contribute to BPA exposure.
The NTP has some concern for effects on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures to bisphenol A.

The NTP has minimal concern for effects on the mammary gland and an earlier age for puberty for females in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures to bisphenol A.

The NTP has negligible concern that exposure of pregnant women to bisphenol A will result in fetal or neonatal mortality, birth defects, or reduced birth weight and growth in their offspring.

The NTP has negligible concern that exposure to bisphenol A will cause reproductive effects in non-occupationally exposed adults and minimal concern for workers exposed to higher levels in occupational settings.
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/sya-bpa/

Another option is to not coat bottle caps and metal water bottles or canned food containers with the resin, inviting corrosion of the metal. This can lead to leaching of the metal into the food, or produce tiny holes in the metal inviting bacteria to enter and spoil the food. In many cases this can be more hazardous to health than the leaching of a chemical from the plastic resin lining.

As always, risk of one plays off against the other.
alteredmind
#8
Jul11-14, 05:07 AM
P: 12
if I were to drink the water with led or mercury in it, what would happen to my brain and body? would I die instantly?
jedishrfu
#9
Jul11-14, 06:40 AM
P: 3,002
Quote Quote by alteredmind View Post
if I were to drink the water with led or mercury in it, what would happen to my brain and body? would I die instantly?
From this article, you can see that its an accumulative effect meaning you're not going to die instantly:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/714387

but you will get very sick after a time.
Borek
#10
Jul11-14, 10:42 AM
Admin
Borek's Avatar
P: 23,601
Quote Quote by alteredmind View Post
if I were to drink the water with led or mercury in it, what would happen to my brain and body? would I die instantly?
There is no simple, single answer. I told you it is dose that makes the poison. If the level is low enough, nothing will happen. If the level is high, it can kill you in a few days or weeks. If the dose is somewhere between it will lead to a chronic poisoning.


Register to reply

Related Discussions
Cooling hot water by adding in cool water and draining out the hot water - Formulae General Physics 5
Thermodynamics water/water vapor question Advanced Physics Homework 1
Displacement from Dallas to Chicago Advanced Physics Homework 2
Basic question regarding triple point of water and physical properties of water Introductory Physics Homework 9