Breaking superconducting state

In summary, when the B field reaches a certain point, it breaks the superconducting state. This happens because the cooper pairs near the surface experience a force on their opposite spins, causing them to break apart. This process may occur layer by layer until the state is completely broken by the external B field. However, this mechanism is only effective in type 1 superconductors, as type 2 superconductors form more field tubes inside the conductor. Spin polarization and orbital magnetic momenta are also important factors to consider in this topic.
cragar
When the B field gets too high it breaks the superconducting state. And then the B field can exist inside the conductor. When the field increases to point where it breaks the state is this because the cooper pairs flowing near the surface experience a force on their spin and then break them apart.
The force would break them apart because the spins are opposite on the electrons in the cooper pairs. If it breaks the cooper pairs at the surface does it just do this layer by layer until the state is broken? I am talking about an external B field acting on the superconductor.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I didn't think that my question was that difficult, I guess I can start looking at papers about superconductors relating to this topic.

Spin polarization is certainly important although there are also orbital magnetic momenta involved.
I think this layer by layer mechanism is only effective in type 1 superconductors. In type 2 conductors, more and more field tubes form inside the superconductor.

I can explain that the phenomenon of breaking the superconducting state when the magnetic field gets too high is known as the "critical field." This is the maximum magnetic field that a superconductor can withstand before it loses its superconductivity.

The reason for this is related to the behavior of Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons that are bound together in a superconductor. These pairs have opposite spins, which allows them to move through the material without resistance. However, when a strong magnetic field is applied, it can exert a force on these pairs, causing them to break apart. This breaks the superconducting state and allows the magnetic field to penetrate into the material.

The breaking of Cooper pairs near the surface of the material is the first step in breaking the superconducting state. This process can continue layer by layer until the critical field is reached and the entire material loses its superconductivity.

It is important to note that this phenomenon only occurs with an external magnetic field acting on the superconductor. In a zero or very low magnetic field, the Cooper pairs remain intact and the material remains in the superconducting state.

In summary, the breaking of the superconducting state when the magnetic field gets too high is due to the force exerted on Cooper pairs, causing them to break apart and allowing the magnetic field to penetrate the material.

1. What is the superconducting state?

The superconducting state is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and perfect diamagnetism when cooled below a certain critical temperature. This means that electric current can flow through these materials without any energy loss, making them highly efficient conductors.

2. How is the superconducting state broken?

The superconducting state can be broken by raising the temperature of the material above its critical temperature, or by applying a strong magnetic field. Both of these factors disrupt the ordered arrangement of electrons that allows for zero resistance and perfect diamagnetism.

3. What are the potential applications of breaking the superconducting state?

Breaking the superconducting state can have both positive and negative implications. On one hand, it can allow for the use of superconducting materials in everyday applications such as power transmission and medical imaging. On the other hand, it can also lead to energy loss and reduced efficiency in superconducting devices.

4. Are there any theoretical explanations for breaking the superconducting state?

Yes, there are several theories that attempt to explain the mechanisms behind breaking the superconducting state. These include the BCS theory, which describes how electrons form Cooper pairs and move through the material without resistance, and the Ginzburg-Landau theory, which explains the effects of external factors on the superconducting state.

5. How does breaking the superconducting state impact research and development in the field?

Breaking the superconducting state is a key area of research in the field of superconductivity, as understanding how and why it occurs can help scientists improve the performance and efficiency of superconducting materials. It also opens up new possibilities for using superconducting materials in a wider range of applications.