Question relating to probablilties

• Thread starter adeel
  • Start date
In summary, the probability that 3 or more patrons will get their coat back is 11/120 and the probability that 3 letters typed in alphabetical order are 1/6.
adeel
I have a test tomorrow and there are 2 question I am stuck on

Five patrons check their coats at a theatre. In the confusion at the end of the performance, the attendant, in despair, hands the coats back at random

What is the probability taht 3 or more of the patrons will get their coat back.

The hint given is: can exactly 4 people receive their correct coat? I am pretty sure they can't because to do that, the fifth person would get the right coat back as well.

second one:

You are doing some wordprocessing, and you accidentally type 3 letters if the alphabet without noticing which ones you typed. What is the probability that the letters will be in alphabetical order from left to right?

So can anyone help? I knoe what the asnwers are, i just dotn know how to get them (the answer is 11/120 and 1/6)

somone, please explain!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The hint given is: can exactly 4 people receive their correct coat? I am pretty sure they can't because to do that, the fifth person would get the right coat back as well.

This means that there is a single case when 4 or more of the patrons will get their coat back.

In how many ways can the attendant hand back the coats?

N=permutations of 5=5!=120

Next it must be calculated the number of possible cases when the attendant hands exactly 3 correct coats back.

N[3]=C53=5!/(3!)*(5-3)!=10

The probability that 3 or more of the patrons will get their coat back is:

P=(N[3]+1)/120=11/120

2.I assume that the three letters are distinct.Whatever letters are typed we can form 3!=6 distinct possibilities with them,function of their position (on the first,second or third place).

For example if the three letters were a,d,e we have the possibilities:

a,d,e
a,e,d
d,e,a
d,a,e
e,a,d
e,d,a

In how many cases are they in the alphabetical order?In exactly one case.

Hence the seeked probability is:P=1/6.

The same is valid no matter the letters written,assuming they are distinct.

Last edited:

For the first question, the probability of getting 3 or more patrons to receive their correct coat back can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula. The formula is P(X=x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials (in this case, 5 patrons), x is the number of successes (in this case, 3 or more patrons getting their correct coat back), and p is the probability of success (in this case, 1/5 since there is a 1 in 5 chance of each patron getting their correct coat back).

Using this formula, we can calculate the probability as follows:

P(X=3) = 5C3 * (1/5)^3 * (4/5)^2 = 10 * (1/125) * (16/25) = 0.128

P(X=4) = 5C4 * (1/5)^4 * (4/5)^1 = 5 * (1/625) * (4/5) = 0.0032

P(X=5) = 5C5 * (1/5)^5 * (4/5)^0 = 1 * (1/3125) * 1 = 0.00032

Therefore, the total probability of getting 3 or more patrons to receive their correct coat back is 0.128 + 0.0032 + 0.00032 = 0.13152 or approximately 13.15%.

For the second question, the probability of typing 3 letters in alphabetical order can be calculated by considering all the possible combinations of 3 letters from the alphabet (26 letters) and dividing it by the total number of possible combinations of 3 letters (26*25*24).

So, the total number of possible combinations of 3 letters from the alphabet is 26*25*24 = 15600.

Out of these, there are 6 possible combinations that are in alphabetical order (ABC, BCD, CDE, DEF, EFG, FGH).

Therefore, the probability of typing 3 letters in alphabetical order is 6/15600 = 1/2600 = 1/6.

I hope this helps! Good luck on your test tomorrow! Remember to always show your work and double check your calculations.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of a particular event occurring. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 would be 1/6, since there is only one way to roll a 3 out of six possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data and can vary from the theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. What is the law of large numbers?

The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the experimental probability will approach the theoretical probability. In other words, the more data we collect, the closer our results will be to the expected outcome.

5. How is probability used in real-life situations?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as in predicting weather patterns, determining insurance rates, and making business decisions. It can also be used to analyze data and make informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.