Problems on engineering mechanics

In summary: Selecting that, you can then browse to the location of your word document and select it for upload.In summary, the conversation discusses various problems from a book called Meriam that the individual and their classmates are having trouble with. They seek help for a handling test involving a car, a particle's motion on a curve, the motion of a particle on a spiral path, and the calculation of time and speed for two spheres in space. They also inquire about how to send accompanying figures to the problem.
sage
these are a few problems from a book called meriam in which i(and some of my classmates) had got a bit stuck. some help will be welcome.

1) in a handling test, a car is driven through the slalom course shown. It is assumed that the car path is sinusoidal and that the maximum central acceleration is .7g. if the testers wish to design a slalom through which the maximum speed is 80 kph, what cone spacing L should be used? (L=46.1m)

2)a particle starts from rest at origin and moves along the positive brunch of the curve y=2*x^(2/3) so that the distance s from the origin along the curve varies with time according to s=2*t3; x,y,s are in inches, t in seconds . find the magnitude of total acceleration of the particle at t=1s?(ans:a=12.17 inch/s2)

3)A particle p moves along a path given by r=f(q) which is symmetrical about about the line q=0 where the radius of curvature of the path is r, the velocity of P is v. derive an expression for r’’ in terms of v,r, r, for the motion of the particle at this point. Ans: r’’= -v2(1/r- 1/r)

4) the particle p moves down the spiral path shown which is wrapped around the surface of a right circular cone of the base radius b and altitude h. the angle g between the tangent to the curve at any point is constant. Also, the motion of the particle is controlled so that q’ is constant. Determine the expression for the radial acceleration a(r) of the particle for any value of q. Ans: b*(q’)2 [(tan)2 g (sin)2b - 1]* exp[-q *tan g * sinb] where b= (tan)-1[b/n]

5) two iron spheres each of diameter 100mm are released from rest with a center to center distance of 1m . assume an environment in space with no forces except mutual gravitational attraction and calculate the time t required for the spheres to come in contact with each other and the absolute speed v of each sphere at the time of contact. Ans: t= 13 hours 33 minutes;
v= 4.76* 10-5 m/seconds.

question-how am i supposed to send the figures accompanying them? i have drawn them in word documents in my P.C. but can't get them pasted.

Physics news on Phys.org
sage said:
how am i supposed to send the figures accompanying them?
The interface may have changed in the intervening 18.5 years, but the method now is to use the pulldown that looks like a landscape.

1. What is engineering mechanics?

Engineering mechanics is a branch of science that applies the principles of mechanics to solve engineering problems. It involves the study of forces and their effects on structures and materials, as well as the motion of objects.

2. What are some common problems in engineering mechanics?

Some common problems in engineering mechanics include determining the forces acting on a structure, analyzing the stability and stress of a structure, and predicting the motion of objects under different conditions.

3. How is engineering mechanics used in real-world applications?

Engineering mechanics is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as designing and building structures, machines, and vehicles. It is also used in fields like aerospace engineering, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering.

4. What are some important concepts to understand in engineering mechanics?

Some important concepts in engineering mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, vector analysis, stress and strain, and the principles of statics and dynamics. It is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematics and physics.

5. How can I improve my skills in engineering mechanics?

Improving your skills in engineering mechanics requires practice and a strong understanding of the fundamentals. It is also helpful to stay updated with new technologies and techniques, and to seek out opportunities for hands-on experiences and collaborations with other engineers.