Centripetal Acceleration: Solving Physics Circular Motion

• Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centripetal
In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a .10kg ball on a string in vertical circular motion with a radius of .80 meters and a height of .20 meters above the ground. The tangential velocity at the top is 6.0m/s, and the question is whether the calculated values for tangential velocity and tension at the top and bottom of the circular path are correct. The velocity was found using the equation KE = PE and the tension at the top was found using T = Fc + Fw. The tension at the top is expected to be higher than at the bottom due to the direction of the tension and weight acting on the ball.
jesuslovesu
Here's a picture http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physics6ry.png

A .10kg ball is on a string in vertical circular motion with a radius .80 meters and the whole system is above the ground .20 meters At the top the tangential velocity is 6.0m/s.

I'm wondering if these are correct:
1)At the lowest point on the circular path the tangential velocity is 2.0 m/s.
2)The tension at the top of the circular path is ~2.6 N

I found the velocity by using KE = PE
I found the tension of the top by: T = Fc + Fw

The reason I'm wondering this is because I figured out the speed, and tensions on the top and bottom and I came up with a higher tension in the top than in the bottom...

Physics news on Phys.org
At the top, the tension and weight are acting in the same direction:
T + Fg = mv^2 / r
so then:
T= mv^2/r - Fg

In addition, for part A, the ball has both kinetic energy and gpe at the top, while at the bottom it should only have gpe.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where "a" is the centripetal acceleration, "v" is the velocity of the object, and "r" is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the centripetal force increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it is the magnitude of the acceleration towards the center of the circle.

5. How does mass affect centripetal acceleration?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the centripetal acceleration. However, a heavier object may require a larger centripetal force to maintain its circular motion at the same speed as a lighter object.