Rocket Sled Motion Equation and Free Response Models | Question Check

In summary, The rocket sled takes 17.78 seconds to travel 2000 meters when fired from rest with the given equation of motion. In the second question, the time constant is 0.875 and the free response is v(t) = 6*e^-1.143*t. The integral of this gives x(t) = (225*e^-4t*(4t*e^(4t)+1))/8. Solving for t when x(t) = 2000 gives 17.78 seconds.
mpm
Ive got 2 questions that I would like looked at.

Question 1:
A rocket sled has the following equation of motion: 6vdot = 2700 - 24*v. How long must the rock fire before the sled travels 2000 m? The sled starts from rest.

I took the integral which of that equation which gamve me v(t) = 2700*t - 24*x. At rest v = 0. So 0 = 2700t - 24*(2000)

Solve for t and you get t = 17.78 seconds.

Does this look right? If not please let me know.

Question 2:
For each of the following models, obtain the free response and time constants if any.

16*xdot + 14*x = 0, x(0) = 6

I changed it to v's, which gave me 16*v + 14*vdot = 0, v(0) = 6

For time constant its c/m so tau = 14/16 = .875

Then for the free response its v(t) = v(0)*e^-t/tau

So for my final answer, v(t) = 6*e^-1.143*t

If there are any problems with this, can you please let me know where.

I just want to make sure I am doing this right.

Physics news on Phys.org
mpm said:
Ive got 2 questions that I would like looked at.
Question 1:
A rocket sled has the following equation of motion: 6vdot = 2700 - 24*v. How long must the rock fire before the sled travels 2000 m? The sled starts from rest.
I took the integral which of that equation which gamve me v(t) = 2700*t - 24*x. At rest v = 0. So 0 = 2700t - 24*(2000)
Solve for t and you get t = 17.78 seconds.
Does this look right? If not please let me know.
The question says that the sled starts from rest, not that it is at rest after it has traveled 2000m.

So I should have a variable still I guess for my v(t) instead of setting it to equal 0. Can you give me an idea of what it might equal?

I would go with another approach entirely: Solve the differential equation for v, then integrate to get an expression for x(t) with no v terms.

I did it a different way for Problem 1.

I made the equation into 6*vdot + 24*v = 2700.

Then I solved for V(t) which is the free response and force response.

Since v(0) = 0, the free response goes away.

leaving v(t) = F/c(1-e^(-ct/m) = 2700/4*(1-e^-4t)

I then took the integral of that to get x(t).

This game me x(t) = (225*e^-4t*(4t*e^(4t)+1))/8

I then set x(t) = 2000. Solving for t I come up with 17.78 seconds which is what I originaly came up with the first time.

Was I just right the first time? Is this coincidental or did I do it wrong this time?

1. What is the rocket sled motion equation?

The rocket sled motion equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the motion of a rocket sled, which is a vehicle that is propelled by rockets or jet engines along a track. The equation takes into account the acceleration, velocity, and distance traveled by the rocket sled.

2. How is the rocket sled motion equation derived?

The rocket sled motion equation is derived from the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law of motion which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. By applying this law to the forces acting on a rocket sled, the equation can be derived.

3. What is a free response model?

A free response model is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system without the influence of external forces. In the context of rocket sled motion, a free response model would describe the motion of the sled without considering the effects of air resistance or friction.

4. How is a free response model used in rocket sled motion?

A free response model is used to predict the motion of a rocket sled under ideal conditions, without the influence of external forces. This can be useful for analyzing the performance of the sled and making adjustments to improve its motion.

5. What are the limitations of the rocket sled motion equation and free response models?

The rocket sled motion equation and free response models assume ideal conditions and do not take into account real-world factors such as air resistance, friction, and changes in mass due to fuel consumption. These models are useful for theoretical analysis, but may not accurately predict the motion of a real rocket sled.