Best oxidizing and reducing agent in periodic table

In summary, after discussing and considering various factors, it has been determined that the best oxidizing agent in the periodic table is Fluorine due to its strong electronegativity and ability to oxidize almost everything. The best reducing agent is Lithium, as its relatively high ionization energy is balanced by the strong interaction with surrounding water molecules. Some other potential options for reducing agents include caesium and chlorine due to their large size and high electron affinity, respectively. It is important to note that the terms oxidation and reduction refer to the transfer of electrons between substances, with oxidizing agents being reduced and reducing agents being oxidized in the process.
aisha
I need to find the best oxidizing and reducing agent in the periodic table and say why i chose what i chose.

I think the best oxidizing agent is Fluorine

and the best reducing agent is Lithium I am not sure if my predictions are correct and if they are I don't know how to explain why I chose them.

Can someone please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does oxidation and reduction mean?
How did you come to chose those particular elements?

Fluorine is the most electronegative element.

how did you came up with lithium & florine?

do you think your answer makes sense?

If I understood your question correctly, I think the two extremes would be francium and flourine.

Fluorine is correct. It has the greatest electronegativity and hence is a strong electron attractor. By a similar reasoning, try and figure out the other answer (it is not lithium).

Edit : Just realized this is over a month old :redface:

Hi! Its nice to meet all of you!
I'm not sure I understand why fluorine is a strong oxidising agent... Isnt oxidation loss of electrons? Doesnt fluorine gain electrons? When fluorine pulls electrons to itself doesn't it increase in oxidation number meaning that it becomes oxidised and hence the reducing agent?

Oxidizing agent gets reduced, but it oxidizes something else. Similarly in the case of reduction - reducing agent reduces something, and it gets oxidized in the process.

Fluorine oxidizes almost everything - so it is a good oxidizing agent.

--
methods

You are right with Fluorine being the best oxidizing agent and your predictions of lithium being the best reducing agent is also is correct. Now it is true that Francium has the lowest ionization energy, but due to its large size it has a less polarizing cations, thus it is not the best reducing agent. Lithium relatively high ionization energy is counteracted by the large amount of energy released when the unusually small, highly polarizing Li+ cation interacts with the surrounding water molecules.

I'm glad we finally got that straightened out...

i think fluorine repels the incoming electron due to thick electronic cloud.
the best answer to me is chlorine. because chlorine has maximum electron affinity in periodic table.
the second answer to me is caesium.. as reducing agent means which give electron easily, so i think caesium gives the electron much easily than lithium due to big size of caesium.

What is an oxidizing agent?

An oxidizing agent is a substance that causes another substance to lose electrons, resulting in an increase in oxidation state. It is itself reduced in the process.

What is a reducing agent?

A reducing agent is a substance that causes another substance to gain electrons, resulting in a decrease in oxidation state. It is itself oxidized in the process.

What is the most common oxidizing agent in the periodic table?

The most common oxidizing agent in the periodic table is oxygen. It has a high electronegativity and readily accepts electrons, making it a strong oxidizing agent.

What is the most common reducing agent in the periodic table?

The most common reducing agent in the periodic table is hydrogen. It has a low electronegativity and readily gives up its electrons, making it a strong reducing agent.

How do the properties of elements change as you move across and down the periodic table?

As you move across the periodic table, elements generally become more electronegative and have a higher tendency to gain electrons, making them better oxidizing agents. As you move down the periodic table, elements generally become less electronegative and have a higher tendency to lose electrons, making them better reducing agents.