Creating Table of contents in PDF

• Thread starter ComputerGeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdf Table
In summary, the conversation discusses how to modify a PDF file to have a table of contents organization in the drawer rather than a flat page preview. The suggested method is to write the component sections, convert them to a PDF, and then write the TOC and hyperlink the sections before creating the final PDF. However, the person asking for help does not have access to Acrobat and is looking for a solution using a Unix machine. The suggested solution involves converting the PDF to postscript, then to HTML, generating a table of contents, and finally converting back to a PDF. The effectiveness of this method is uncertain.
ComputerGeek
I was wondering.. How can you modify a PF file to have the TOC organization in the drawer rather than the flat page preview?

Some PDFs of large documents have an organization that separates the PDF into sections and when you select that element or an element from the tree below an element, it jumps to that page.

any Idea how I can add that to a PDF so it is no so obnoxious to navigate?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try writing the component sections then converting them to a PDF. When all is said and done, write the TOC and hyper-link the sections before creating the PDF of the TOC...

Dr Transport said:
Try writing the component sections then converting them to a PDF. When all is said and done, write the TOC and hyper-link the sections before creating the PDF of the TOC...

Actually, I was hoping for help on taking an Old PDF I got on line and converting it to such a system so I can just click on the section I want to jump to. I do not have Acrobat either.

Do you have access to a unix machine?

If so you can do this:

pdf2ps (convert pdf to postscript)
ps2html (convert postscript to html)
htmltoc (generate table of contents)
html2ps (convert html to postscript) make sure to use the --toc option
ps2pdf (convert postscript to pdf)

I think it should work, but I'm not sure. Try it if you can.

1. How do I create a table of contents in a PDF document?

To create a table of contents in a PDF document, you will need to use a PDF authoring software such as Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Word. These programs have built-in features that allow you to easily create a table of contents by adding bookmarks or headings to your document.

2. Can I automatically generate a table of contents in a PDF?

Yes, many PDF authoring software have the option to automatically generate a table of contents based on the headings or bookmarked sections in your document. This can save you time and effort in creating the table of contents manually.

3. How do I format my table of contents in a PDF?

The formatting of your table of contents will depend on the software you are using. In general, you can customize the font, size, and style of your table of contents to match the rest of your document. You can also choose how many levels of headings to include in the table of contents and how they are numbered.

4. Can I add hyperlinks to my table of contents in a PDF?

Yes, most PDF authoring software allow you to add hyperlinks to your table of contents. This means that readers can click on a heading in the table of contents and be taken directly to that section in the document. This is a useful feature for longer documents with multiple sections.

5. Is it possible to update a table of contents in a PDF?

Yes, you can update a table of contents in a PDF if you make changes to your document, such as adding or deleting headings. Most PDF authoring software have an option to update the table of contents automatically, so you don't have to manually make any changes.