Solving De Broglie Wave: Direction & F/G

In summary, the de Broglie wave has the form: \psi = e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}. The direction of this wave is towards the positive end as both x and t increase to maintain a constant function. When evaluating F and G, the partial derivatives are treated as constants and the final expressions are \frac{p^2}{ \hbar ^2} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar} for F and \frac{E}{\hbar} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar} for G. The calculation of \frac{F}{G} yields \frac{2m}{\hbar} and its significance is in the wave equation for a region
UrbanXrisis
the de Broglie wave has the form: [tex]/psi = e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]

1. I am asked the direction of this wave. To me, as t increases, the x has to increase as well to keep a constant function on the left hand side so I believe that the direction of this wavelangth is heading towards the positive end.
2. I am to find:

[tex]F(x,t)=-\frac{\delta ^2 \phi}{\delta x^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]G(x,t)=i\frac{\delta \phi}{\delta t}[/tex]

i'm not too good with partial derivatives since I just learned them a week ago, please correct me if I am wrong.

x and t don't depend on each other while E and p are fixed energy and momentum:

first partial derivative:
[tex]F=\frac{ip}{ \hbar} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
second:
[tex]F=-\frac{p^2}{ \hbar ^2} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
[tex]F(x,t)=\frac{p^2}{ \hbar ^2} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]

[tex]G=-\frac{iE}{\hbar} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
[tex]G(x,t)=\frac{E}{\hbar} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]

have I done this correctly?

then I am to evaluate F/G knowing that E=p^2/2m

I get [tex]\frac{F}{G}=\frac{2m}{\hbar}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
[tex]F=\frac{ip}{ \hbar} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
second:
[tex]F=-\frac{p^2}{ \hbar ^2} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
[tex]F(x,t)=\frac{p^2}{ \hbar ^2} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
Here you have three different expressions for F. So which on is it?

I understand what you're doing, but as you've written it down is confusing (and wrong). Your final result for F(x,t) is correct though, which was what you're heading for.
[tex]G=-\frac{iE}{\hbar} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
[tex]G(x,t)=\frac{E}{\hbar} e^{i(px-Et)/ \hbar}[/tex]
Same thing here. The first expression is not G, but [itex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}[/itex], so you should write that.

The rest looks good.

then I am to evaluate F/G knowing that E=p^2/2m

I get [tex]\frac{F}{G}=\frac{2m}{\hbar}[/tex]?[/QUOTE]

In the LaTeX, use \ before psi, and use \del or \partial for the partial derivative.

For partial differentiation, one treats the other variable as a contant, and what you have done appears to be correct, except as Galileo pointed out, write the partials of F and G where you are differentiating.

The wave is in the positive direction.

Another way to write the wave equation is [itex]\psi(x,t)\,=\,A\,exp\,[i(kx-\omega t)][/itex], where [itex]k\,=\,2\pi/\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\omega\,=\,2\pi\nu[/itex].

Last edited:
for F and G, I was just showing the first partial derivative and the second partial derivative.

was my calculation of [tex]\frac{F}{G}=\frac{2m}{\hbar}[/tex] correct?

what is the significance of F/G?

Last edited:
In one dimension -

[tex]\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi\,=\,0[/tex]

in region with the potential, V(x) = 0.

Last edited:

1. What is De Broglie wave?

De Broglie wave, also known as matter wave, is a concept in quantum mechanics that suggests that all particles, including electrons and protons, have a wave-like nature.

2. How is the direction of De Broglie wave determined?

The direction of De Broglie wave is determined by the momentum of the particle. The wave's direction is perpendicular to the momentum of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between De Broglie wave and frequency/energy?

De Broglie wave has a frequency and energy that are directly proportional to the momentum of the particle. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency.

4. How does De Broglie wave help in solving problems in quantum mechanics?

De Broglie wave helps in understanding the wave-like behavior of particles, which is crucial in solving problems in quantum mechanics. It also allows for the prediction of particle behavior and the calculation of their energies and momenta.

5. What is the significance of De Broglie wave in modern physics?

De Broglie wave is a fundamental concept in modern physics, as it helps explain the wave-particle duality of matter and has been verified by numerous experiments and observations. It also plays a crucial role in understanding subatomic particles and their behavior.