Homemade Parachute for Model Rocket

In summary, the speaker is looking for resources on designing a ram-air parachute for a model rocket. They have been searching for information but have not had much luck. They are asking for any recommendations or knowledge about ram-air chute designs. A helpful resource is provided in the form of a link to a curriculum about designing parachutes.
Shawnzyoo
Ok I am sure the title caught your attention, but it is not for me, it is for my cat, just kidding.
It will actually be for a model rocket I am building.
I would like to design a ram-air parachute to control a descending rocket (toggles will be attached to either servos or linear actuators and controlled via a RC system)
I have been scouring for information about ram-air chute designs but am not having much luck thus far, I was wondering if anyone here knew of some good chute design resources or are very knowledgeable of ram chutes themselves.
Thank You
--Shawn

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do I make a homemade parachute for my model rocket?

Making a homemade parachute for a model rocket can be done by following a few simple steps. First, you will need to gather materials such as lightweight fabric, scissors, string or thread, and a sewing needle. Then, cut the fabric into a circular shape with a diameter of about 12-15 inches. Next, tie four strings or threads to the corners of the fabric and attach them to the body of the rocket. Finally, test the parachute by launching the rocket and adjusting the strings as needed.

2. What type of fabric should I use for the parachute?

The ideal fabric for a homemade parachute for a model rocket is lightweight and durable. Good options include ripstop nylon, polyester, and silk. Avoid using heavy or thick fabrics as they may weigh down the rocket and affect its flight.

3. How big should the parachute be for my model rocket?

The size of the parachute can vary depending on the weight and size of your model rocket. As a general rule, the diameter of the parachute should be about 5 times the diameter of the rocket's body. This will provide enough surface area for the parachute to catch air and slow down the rocket's descent.

4. Can I reuse the homemade parachute for multiple rocket launches?

Yes, the homemade parachute can be reused for multiple rocket launches as long as it remains in good condition. Make sure to check for any rips or tears before each launch and make necessary repairs. It is also recommended to use a backup parachute in case the main one fails.

5. How do I attach the parachute to my model rocket?

The parachute can be attached to the model rocket by tying the strings or threads to the body of the rocket. You can also use a small piece of tape or glue to secure the strings to the rocket. It is important to ensure that the strings are evenly spaced and the parachute is centered on the rocket for optimal performance.