There could be Intelliengent life 26 light years away

In summary, scientists have identified a yellow-orange sun called Chara, 26 light years from Earth, as one of the most likely sources of intelligent alien civilization in the universe. This comes after a two-year search for "habitable zones" and regions with perfect conditions for life. Out of 120,000 stars studied, Chara is one of five named as promising hotspots for life. However, some critics argue that the study is not a true representation of the vastness of the universe and the potential for life to exist in unexpected places.
scott1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1713604,00.html
A yellow-orange sun called Chara 26 light years from Earth has been identified by scientists as one of the most likely sources of intelligent alien civilisation in the universe.
Here's another article
Of an initial 17,129 'habitable stellar systems' that astronomer Margaret Turnbull, of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, and her colleagues published in 2003, Turnbull has selected a handful of stars that she considers her best bets.
http://science.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1131203.php/Stars_searched_for_extraterrestrials

I'am not sure if there would be aliens there but it better then nothing.I wonder if seti has looked at this star yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lol, they looked at 120,000 stars and picked one as the most likely place to find intelligent life in the Universe.
That's like me going into my backyard and picking up a grain of sand and saying it is the most perfect grain of sand on earth.

After a two year hunt for "habitable zones", or regions in far away solar systems where planets would enjoy the perfect conditions for life, Chara is one of five stars named as promising hotspots for life.

A very thorough search indeed eh tribdog?

I don't have the words to describe my hate for this study posing as serious science. "Habitable zones" "perfect conditions for life"? we keep being suprised by the places life pops up here on earth
120,000 stars that's barely half the stars in the universe right?

tribdog said:
120,000 stars that's barely half the stars in the universe right?
If 120,000 is about half of trillion trillion (in the visible universe alone!) :wink:

1. Is there any evidence of intelligent life 26 light years away?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence of intelligent life existing 26 light years away from Earth. However, there have been several potential signals and anomalies detected by scientists that could potentially indicate the presence of intelligent life.

2. How do scientists search for intelligent life in other galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of methods to search for intelligent life in other galaxies, including radio telescopes, optical telescopes, and space missions. These methods involve looking for signals and patterns that could indicate the presence of intelligent life.

3. What is the likelihood of there being intelligent life 26 light years away?

The likelihood of there being intelligent life 26 light years away is currently unknown. Some scientists believe that the vastness of the universe and the number of potentially habitable planets make it likely that there is intelligent life out there. However, without concrete evidence, it is impossible to determine the exact likelihood.

4. What would be the implications if intelligent life was discovered 26 light years away?

The discovery of intelligent life 26 light years away would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also potentially lead to advancements in technology and communication, as well as raising ethical and philosophical questions.

5. How would we communicate with intelligent life 26 light years away?

Communicating with intelligent life 26 light years away would be a challenging task. It would likely involve using advanced technology and methods such as radio waves, lasers, or even sending physical objects or messages through space. However, the exact method of communication would depend on the capabilities and technology of the intelligent life we are trying to communicate with.