Charging a Battery: Finding the Current in a Series Circuit

In summary, the problem involves a 12.0 V battery with an internal resistance of .02 Ohms and a 10.5 V battery with an internal resistance of .15 Ohms. The question is asking for the charging current, but the wording of the problem is causing confusion. The solution involves setting up a loop with the current flowing from negative to positive, and using the formula V=IR to solve for the current. The final answer is 8.8 A.
moo5003
Problem:

"A 12.0 V battery with an internal resistance of .02 Ohms is used to charge a battery with an emf of10.5 V and an internal resistance of .15 Ohms. What is the charging current?"

Question:

I'm pretty much stuck on the set up of this problem. I know how to find the current if there was some resistor and these were hooked up in parrallel, but the way the problem is worded it makes me think these are simply just in their own loop. More over I'm not sure how I would set this problem up if they just created their own loop... Any help would be appreciated.

PS: To charge a battery the current across the battery points from negative to positive right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing this as one loop, yes.

Determine a direction for current flow, so start with the 12 V battery and determine initial direction for current, by convention.

Alright, I have set the problem up. I have the first battery on the left side with the current moving up and then right (From the positive) to the second battery on the right side where the current moves down through the internal resister into the negative side of the second battery which then wraps around to the internal resister of the 1st battery.

I'm assuming I use V=IR.

Please correct me if I do any of the following incorrectly:

Alrighty:

Loop: -Ir1 + E1 - E2 - Ir2 = 0

I = (E2 - E1) / -(r1+r2)

I = 8.8 A

Would this be the correct way of doing this?

Last edited:
Whoa...

WHen we do loops, we mean that the total voltage is zero.. o_O

so it be something like..

0 = IR + Voltage(battery) - ...

1. How long does it take to fully charge a battery?

The time it takes to fully charge a battery depends on the type and size of the battery as well as the charger being used. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1 to 8 hours to fully charge a battery.

2. Can I overcharge a battery?

Yes, overcharging a battery can cause damage to the battery and potentially be a safety hazard. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for charging time and to not leave the battery charging for extended periods of time.

3. What is the best way to charge a battery for maximum lifespan?

The best way to charge a battery for maximum lifespan is to use a charger specifically designed for that type of battery and to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for charging time and method. It is also important to not let the battery fully drain before recharging.

4. Can I use a different charger to charge my battery?

It is always best to use a charger that is specifically designed for the type of battery you are using. Using a different charger may not provide the correct voltage or current for your battery and can potentially damage it.

5. Is it safe to charge a battery overnight?

It is generally not recommended to charge a battery overnight as it increases the risk of overcharging the battery and potentially causing damage. It is best to monitor the charging process and unplug the battery once it is fully charged.