What is Thundersnow and Why Does it Happen?

• Thread starter RVBuckeye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the Vernal Equinox is upon us and to my dismay, we are in the middle of the worst snow we received all winter. 6 inches on the ground now, with another 6 inches to a foot today. It's not even expected to stop until noon tomorrow! I was watching the forcast this morning on the local news and the meteorologist said a term I never heard before...Thundersnow. Thundersnow...I'm, going to have to remember this next time I cause a storm somewhere. Yomamma might see a taste of thundersnow sometime soon :grumpy: :devil:Wow, thundersnow does sound bad. :bugeye: Look on
RVBuckeye
Well, the Vernal Equinox is upon us and to my dismay, we are in the middle of the worst snow we received all winter I guess this would also make this the worst snow we've received this spring as well. 6 inches on the ground now, with another 6 inches to a foot today. It's not even expected to stop until noon tomorrow! I was watching the forcast this morning on the local news and the meteorologist said a term I never heard before...Thundersnow. (I guess it's a snowy-thunderstorm.)
The bright side is, it's perfect snowball making snow! Oh yeah, no work for me today either:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
RVBUCKEYE said:
I was watching the forcast this morning on the local news and the meteorologist said a term I never heard before...Thundersnow.
Thundersnow...I'm, going to have to remember this next time I cause a storm somewhere. Yomamma might see a taste of thundersnow sometime soon :grumpy: :devil:

Wow, thundersnow does sound bad. :bugeye: Look on the bright side, with that much snow on a Monday morning, you probably get to stay home and avoid a Monday morning. :biggrin:

I work seven days a week so everyday is a Monday for me:mad:
Except for "acts of God", of course.

I wasn't as lucky, it's freezing, howling winds, and sleeting so traffic was horrible this morning. :grumpy:

It's around 30 degrees here. If it wasn't snowing, it would be shorts-weather. Weird how we can acclimate ourselves to the climate. When I was in Florida, I'd be freezing to death when it was 70.

We had lots of snow here, as well. A perfect start to Spring (those late March and early April snows are pretty important considering how dry it is all summer).

The schools are closed and just about everything else has delayed reporting (except me - this messes up my schedule for the week, so I had to make sure I was in early enough to figure out what parts I could cut out of my presentations).

The roads are spotty. I work on the edge of the prairie, right on the edge of a dry lake bed. The more exposed parts were kept clean by the wind, but the road was pretty bad when you drop down into the lake bed where the road's protected from the wind.

THUNDERSNOW... sounds like an 80's/power metal song.

Today is a very happy day for two of the Evo Child's two closest friends, Dillon & Alex. They are flying to California to begin recording. Their band was recently signed to a recording contract by Warner Brothers. WooHoo! :approve:

Ugh we're under over 2 feet of snow right now...and just keep getting more. The roads are insanely bad...i can't wait for spring to really come.

Evo said:
Today is a very happy day for two of the Evo Child's two closest friends, Dillon & Alex. They are flying to California to begin recording. Their band was recently signed to a recording contract by Warner Brothers. WooHoo! :approve:
That's pretty cool. What'sthe band's genre and/or name?

yomamma said:
That's pretty cool. What'sthe band's genre and/or name?
They sound like Taking back Sunday. The band's name is Josephine. After they finish recording, Warner will be having them tour to promote it. I hope they do well, they're nice boys. At least they have a big name with lots of money promoting them.

And it's snowing this morning. :grumpy:

RVBuckeye said:
It's around 30 degrees here. If it wasn't snowing, it would be shorts-weather. Weird how we can acclimate ourselves to the climate. When I was in Florida, I'd be freezing to death when it was 70.
That is shorts and T-shirt weather for me.

It was ~50-60°F a few days ago, and I felt hot! I like it about 20-30°F.

On the other hand, I don't mind 100-105°F - but I prefer dry heat - I just drink a lot of Gatorade and water. :biggrin:

Happy Vernal equinox in the northern hemisphere - it's just the reverse on the other side of the equator. :wink:

1. What is the significance of the first day of Spring?

The first day of Spring marks the beginning of the Spring season in the Northern Hemisphere. It is the day when the tilt of the Earth's axis is neither towards nor away from the sun, resulting in equal amounts of daylight and darkness.

2. Why is it called the Vernal Equinox?

The first day of Spring is also known as the Vernal Equinox, stemming from the Latin words "ver" meaning spring and "aequus" meaning equal. This refers to the equal amount of daylight and darkness on this day.

3. How is the date of the first day of Spring determined?

The date of the first day of Spring is determined by astronomical calculations based on the position of the Earth in relation to the sun. It usually falls on March 19th, 20th, or 21st.

4. Are there any cultural celebrations or rituals associated with the first day of Spring?

Yes, there are many cultural celebrations and rituals associated with the first day of Spring, such as the Persian holiday of Nowruz and the Christian holiday of Easter. Many cultures also celebrate the renewal and rebirth of nature during this time.

5. How does the first day of Spring affect weather patterns?

The first day of Spring does not have a direct impact on weather patterns. However, as the Earth's tilt changes and the days become longer, the sun's rays become more direct in the Northern Hemisphere, leading to warmer temperatures and the beginning of the growing season.