Need help for a lab due tommorow

• Thread starter albaboi123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment involving dropping paper baking cups from the ceiling to the ground. The purpose of the experiment was to determine the shape factor value for empty baking cups. The equation D=opAv(squared) was provided and it was suggested to analyze the equation and determine the value for the shape factor. The variables to be measured were drag and velocity, with the goal of finding the terminal velocity at which the drag is equal to the weight of the cups. Suggestions were also made for instrumental methods to obtain a more precise value for the shape factor.
albaboi123
we had a experiment dropping paper baking cups from the ceiling to the ground.

started off with 8 removing 1 each time till we had 1.

The purpose of the lab is to determine the value of the shape factor value for empty baking cup.

we are given the equation D=opAv(squared)
We need to include (I need help trying to find):

-Analysis of the equation to show how you intend to obtain a value for the shape factor (o)
-the variables that you intend to measure and a description of how you will measure them
-suggestions as to instrumental methods that could be employed in this experiment to obtain a more precise value for the shape factor

any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The drag, [itex]D[/itex], is directly proportional to [itex]v^2[/itex]. So graph of these will have a gradient of [itex]\frac{1}{2}CA\rho[/itex], where [itex]C[/itex] is the drag coefficient - which you intend determining -, [itex]A[/itex] the cross sectional area of the cup and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of air, all of which is constant during the experiment.

So one need to determine the drag and velocity for the various falls with different amount of cups. When the cups fall they will eventually reach a constant speed - the terminal velocity [itex]v_T[/itex] - which you need to determine, at this point during the fall the drag will be equal to the weight of the cups at that stage.

A graph of the weight of the cups versus the square of the terminal velocity will then give you what you want.

Last edited:

Hello, I can definitely provide some assistance with your lab due tomorrow. It sounds like you are conducting an experiment to determine the shape factor value for empty baking cups by dropping them from the ceiling to the ground. To obtain the value for the shape factor (o), you will need to analyze the equation D=opAv(squared). This equation shows that the shape factor (o) is equal to the drop distance (D) divided by the product of the air density (p), the cross-sectional area of the cup (A), and the velocity of the cup (v) squared. Therefore, to obtain the value for the shape factor, you will need to measure the drop distance, air density, cross-sectional area, and velocity of the cup.

To measure the drop distance, you can use a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance from the ceiling to the ground. For the air density, you can use a barometer to measure the atmospheric pressure and then use the ideal gas law to calculate the air density. The cross-sectional area of the cup can be measured using a caliper or by tracing the outline of the cup and calculating the area. Finally, the velocity of the cup can be measured using a high-speed camera or by timing how long it takes for the cup to fall from the ceiling to the ground.

To obtain a more precise value for the shape factor, you could consider using an instrument such as a laser or ultrasonic sensor to measure the drop distance and velocity of the cup more accurately. Additionally, using multiple cups and taking the average of their shape factor values could also improve the precision of your results. I hope this helps, and good luck with your lab!

1) How can I get help for a lab due tomorrow?

There are a few options for getting help with your lab due tomorrow. You can reach out to your classmates or professor for assistance, join a study group or tutoring session, or use online resources such as instructional videos or forums.

2) What should I do if I'm struggling with my lab?

If you're struggling with your lab, it's important to seek help as soon as possible. Don't wait until the last minute to ask for assistance. Reach out to your professor or classmates for help, and consider using online resources or attending a tutoring session to get additional support.

3) How can I manage my time effectively to finish my lab on time?

To manage your time effectively and finish your lab on time, it's important to plan ahead and create a schedule. Break the lab into smaller tasks and set specific deadlines for each task. Make sure to also allocate time for breaks and unexpected challenges.

4) What are some common mistakes to avoid when completing a lab?

Some common mistakes to avoid when completing a lab include not reading the instructions carefully, not following proper lab procedures, and not properly documenting your work. It's important to pay attention to detail and ask for clarification if needed.

5) How can I make sure my lab is well-written and organized?

To ensure your lab is well-written and organized, make sure to proofread your work and check for any spelling or grammar errors. Use headings, subheadings, and proper formatting to make your lab easy to follow. Also, make sure to include all necessary information and data in your lab report.