Pressure of balls bouncing on area

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the average pressure exerted by 100 5g balls dropped from a height of 3m onto an area of 2m^2 every second. The solution involves finding the change in momentum of the balls and taking into account the direction of the momentum. The correct answer is 3Pa.
LoN
a 5g balls fall dropped from 3m bounces up 1m. if 100 such balls fall on an area of 2m^2 every second what is the average pressure exerted by the balls?

ive tried to solve this problem 100 different ways and i can't get the answer (3Pa).

Physics news on Phys.org
LoN, you wouldn't happen to have a Physics 213 midterm tonight at 7pm, would you? ;)

Pressure is force/area and force is (change in momentum)/time. You're provided with the area and time, so all you have to find is the change in momentum of the ball as it hits the surface.

haha yes i do. small world eh :biggrin:

i must not be setting this up right, here's what I am doing.

1/2 m v^2 = mgh solve for v for each height, 1 m and 3m.

then find the change in momentum by multiplying the vs i have solved for by the mass of the ball and subtract. i get .0162 for the change in momentum. so then i multiply that by 100(?) and divide by 2m^2 and i end up with .81Pa :yuck:

where am i screwing up :confused:

Remember that the momentum as the ball is going down is negative, and the momentum as the ball is going up is positive.

Good luck tonight!

thanks for the help, what a lame mistake i was making :grumpy:

What is the definition of pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force exerted per unit area. In scientific terms, it is the amount of force applied perpendicular to a surface divided by the area of that surface.

How does the pressure of a ball affect its bounce on a surface?

The pressure of a ball affects its bounce on a surface by determining the amount of force it exerts on the surface. The higher the pressure, the greater the force and the higher the bounce. This is because the pressure creates a greater reaction force from the surface, causing the ball to bounce higher.

What factors influence the pressure of a ball bouncing on a surface?

The factors that influence the pressure of a ball bouncing on a surface include the mass of the ball, the velocity at which it hits the surface, and the elasticity of the surface. These factors all contribute to the amount of force and energy that the ball exerts on the surface, and therefore affect the pressure.

How can the pressure of a ball bouncing on a surface be calculated?

The pressure of a ball bouncing on a surface can be calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. The force can be calculated using the mass and velocity of the ball, and the area is the surface area of the ball in contact with the surface.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the pressure of balls bouncing on an area?

Understanding the pressure of balls bouncing on an area has many practical applications in sports, engineering, and physics. For example, it can help improve the design of sports equipment such as balls and surfaces to optimize performance. It can also be used in the study of collisions and energy transfer. In engineering, understanding the pressure of bouncing balls can aid in the design of shock-absorbing materials and structures. Additionally, it can help in the development of safety measures for activities involving bouncing balls, such as trampolining and ball games.