Calculating Final Speed After Momentum Boost of 85N

• Thread starter Drevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, momentum boost is the increase in momentum of an object caused by an external force. Final speed can be calculated by dividing the momentum boost (85N) by the mass of the object and adding it to the initial velocity. The formula for calculating final speed is: final speed = (momentum boost / mass) + initial velocity. The mass of the object does affect the final speed, with a larger mass resulting in a smaller final speed after a momentum boost of 85N. Additionally, the final speed can have a different direction from the initial velocity if the momentum boost is in a different direction, as the overall momentum of the object is changed.
Drevin
A 5kg model vehicle traveling at 14 m/s experiences a rocket boost of 85N (in the direction of motion) for 20s. What is the resulting speed?

I tried using:

F = mv/t, but that didn't work out for me.

85 = 5v/20
85*20 = 5v
1700/5 = v
v = 340 m/s

but, that's wrong... what am I doing incorrectly? thanks.

edit: I guess you could consider impulse actually, heh... whoops

Physics news on Phys.org
Try

v(t)=v_initial + a*t

F=m*a ----> a=F/m

Last edited:
In this case F*t = mVf - mVi, in other words, the Ft equals the change in momentum.

What is momentum boost?

Momentum boost is the increase in momentum of an object due to an external force acting on it.

How is final speed calculated after a momentum boost of 85N?

Final speed is calculated by dividing the momentum boost (85N) by the mass of the object and adding it to the initial velocity of the object.

What is the formula for calculating final speed after a momentum boost of 85N?

The formula for calculating final speed is: final speed = (momentum boost / mass) + initial velocity.

Does the mass of the object affect the final speed after a momentum boost?

Yes, the final speed will be affected by the mass of the object. The larger the mass, the smaller the final speed will be after a momentum boost of 85N.

Can the direction of the final speed after a momentum boost be different from the initial direction?

Yes, if the momentum boost is in a different direction from the initial velocity, the final speed will also have a different direction. This is because the momentum boost changes the overall momentum of the object.