Factors that affect the trajectory of a projected mass.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics coursework task involving determining the horizontal displacement of a projected mass. The initial speed, initial height, gravitational constant, and angle of projection are all factors in this determination. The speaker varied the initial speed by changing the vertical height of the mass on a ramp and found the time and horizontal displacement in terms of the initial and vertical heights. They then discuss the factors that could affect the theoretical results, such as air resistance and friction on the ramp. The speaker also mentions their struggle with understanding air resistance and its effects.
JMatch
This is my physics coursework task and although I have had only minor difficulties in actually doing the work, I thought I would post some of the things that I found to verify.

Basically, I began with saying that the initial speed (u), initial height (h), gravitational constant (g) and the angle of projection (the) all played a role in determining the horizontal displacement (d) of the projected mass.

I varied the initial speed (u) by constructing a ramp and changing the vertical height of the mass 'up' the ramp (H). Keeping h, g constant and [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0, enabled me to find the initial speed as [tex] v = \sqrt{2gH}[/tex] (using conservation of energy).

I then found the time it would take for the mass to hit the floor, [tex]t = \sqrt{(2h)/g}[/tex] and combining this with the value for v enabled me to find out the horizontal displacement (d) in terms of H and h. [tex]d = 2\sqrt{Hh}[/tex]

That was the easy part. Deciding what factors made these theoretical results different from the experimental ones was a little harder.

Obviously air resistance will be a factor, as will the co-efficient of friction on the ramp. Those were the only two factors I could see that would make a difference.

I have a bit of a block when it comes to air resistance. I know I am wrong in thinking that air resistance is constant magnitude but varies in direction, however I am thinking it and it is annoying me.

Now I am forgetting the entire point of the task.. damn you PF!

(It should come to me soon, but any views so far?)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the mass was rolling down the ramp some of the potential energy would be converted to rotational kinetic energy.

JMatch said:
I have a bit of a block when it comes to air resistance. I know I am wrong in thinking that air resistance is constant magnitude but varies in direction, however I am thinking it and it is annoying me.

Now I am forgetting the entire point of the task.. damn you PF!

(It should come to me soon, but any views so far?)
The magnitude of air resistance isn't constant. It increases when the velocity increases and decreases when the velocity decreases. Unless you have a wind, the air resistance always opposes the direction of motion - i.e. relative to the object's motion, the direction of air resistance is always constant.

1. What is the definition of trajectory?

Trajectory refers to the path that an object follows as it moves through space.

2. How does mass affect the trajectory of a projected object?

The mass of an object affects its trajectory by influencing its momentum and the forces acting upon it, such as gravity and air resistance. Objects with greater mass will typically have more inertia and be more resistant to changes in their trajectory.

3. What other factors besides mass impact the trajectory of a projected object?

Other factors that can affect the trajectory of a projected object include the initial velocity, the angle at which it is projected, and external forces such as wind or friction.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projected object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the speed and alter the trajectory of a projected object. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts against the direction of motion, causing the object to slow down and change direction.

5. Can the trajectory of a projected object be accurately predicted?

The trajectory of a projected object can be predicted using mathematical formulas and scientific principles. However, external factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object can make it challenging to make precise predictions.