Overcome your feelings of suicide

• Thread starter matthew baird
  • Start date
In summary: Matthew, I hope this helps. Please remember to stay positive and to reach out for help when you need it.
matthew baird
overcome your feelings of suicide...

Alright, this is actually my first post here on PF...I am 21 years old and currently working towards my associate degree. My major is physics. I feel that I need to say something in response to another thread. Both of my parents are no longer living. My mother died of cervical cancer when I was 8. My father committed suicide about two and a half years ago. PLEASE turn your energy and thoughts towards something positive. I cannot begin to put into words what I have gone through. Many other chaotic events took place that lead to my dad making that decision, but there is too much to write and it doesn't matter. What does matter is that you (you know who you are) , stop and think about what you are thinking. Sometimes I know we get carried away being so consumed by what our society has created. Maybe events have happened in your life recently, such as my experiences, to make you feel that life is not worth living anymore. What if I was to also commit suicide...What good would that do? nothing at all! I know my mind has the capability to change this world for the better. You cannot only think of the what has happened in the past, but what is to take place in the future. Dwelling on past events that you have no control over does not help you to stay positive. Life is a journey, at times a rough one, that we all experience and learn. Imagine if I end up helping people around the world. Imagine I change the world. Imagine if you change the world in your future. Committing suicide is destroying any hope for anyone to help mankind...
Well I'm not sure if the person who I intended to read this will, or even if it gets deleted. I needed to add my experience and response to this thread. Again I cannot stress how important it is to stay positive! Look at the beauty of this world. Look at the quality of life that we here in the US and in Britain have. Comparing what we have versus other people around the world is a very humbling thought..Care about the people around you, friends, family, and strangers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matthew, thank you for sharing your experiences. We never know who might be listening in, and even if the person you meant these words for does not read them or heed them, someone else might.

In that other thread, I posted some hotline numbers, one for the UK and one for the US. You do not need to be suicidal to call them. Even if you just need someone to talk to about your feelings or problems, or your concerns about someone else, they will listen and work with you as long as you need it. If anyone ever feels like they have nobody else to talk to, those hotlines are there. They are confidential and non-judgemental. I actually did speak with someone at the Samaritans organization in the US yesterday because I didn't want to refer anyone to an organization for help without speaking to them first and ensuring they were what they claim to be. They are really great people.

In addition to Moonie's numbers, there's a Nightline service run at most UK universities, the number can be found on the back of your Library Card. Same deal as Samaritans really but with specific training to deal with young people, especially students.

1. What are some warning signs that I may be struggling with suicidal thoughts?

Some common warning signs of suicidal thoughts include feelings of hopelessness, withdrawing from friends and family, giving away possessions, and talking about death or suicide.

2. How can I help a loved one who is struggling with thoughts of suicide?

The best way to help a loved one who is struggling with suicidal thoughts is to listen to them without judgment, express your concern and support, and encourage them to seek professional help. It is also important to remove any potential means of self-harm, such as medications or weapons, from their immediate environment.

3. What are some coping strategies for dealing with suicidal thoughts?

Some coping strategies for dealing with suicidal thoughts include talking to a trusted friend or family member, practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation, engaging in activities that bring joy or purpose, and seeking professional therapy or counseling.

4. Is it normal to have suicidal thoughts even if my life is going well?

Yes, it is possible to experience suicidal thoughts even if your life seems to be going well. Mental health issues and overwhelming emotions can make it difficult to see the positives in life and can lead to suicidal thoughts. It is important to seek help and support in managing these thoughts and feelings.

5. What should I do if I am having immediate thoughts of harming myself?

If you are having immediate thoughts of harming yourself, it is important to seek help right away. You can call a suicide hotline, such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, or go to your nearest emergency room. You can also reach out to a trusted friend or family member for support.