Is the Sum-Function of a Convergent Series Continuous on $\mathbb{R}$?

In summary: Yes, by uniform convergence, we have\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f_n(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}f_n(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}0 = 0and since \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f_n(x) = f(y), we have\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty}f(y) = 0.Note that this only applies for y\neq 0.
Math_Frank
Hello

I have this question here which has puzzled me.

Given a series

[tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}[/tex]

Show that the series converge for every [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

By the test of comparison

[tex]\left| \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} \right | \leq \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

Since its know that

[tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converge, then the series [tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}[/tex] converge for every [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Second show that the series converge Uniformt on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]

Again since

[tex]\left| \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} \right | \leq \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

and since [tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converge.

Then by Weinstrass M-Test, then series Converge Uniformt on [tex]\mathrm{R}[/tex]

Third show that the sum-function

[tex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex]f(y) = \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}[/tex]

is continuous on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]

Can I conclude here that since the series converge Uniformly on R, then its sum-functions is continuous on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] ?

/Frank

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what is your question? What is puzzling you?

Math_Frank said:

[tex]\left| \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} \right | < \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]
y can be 0, so this should be

Math_Frank said:
Hello

I have this question here which has puzzled me.

Given a series

[tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}[/tex]

Show that the series converge for every [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex]\left| \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} \right | < \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

Since its know that

[tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converge, then the series [tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}[/tex] converge for every [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

There's a problem - the sequence you're comparing with is zeta(2), which converges (the sum is pi^2/6). However, that sum goes from n = 1 to infinity. When you start with n = 0, the first term is infinite, so obviously the sequence diverges.

I would suggest amending it like so :

[tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} < \frac{1}{y^2} + \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{1}{y^2} + \frac{\pi^2}{6} [/tex]

BTW, y must be nonzero for convergence.

Last edited:
So What can I conclude that the series

doesn't converge for every [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] ??

/Frank

Curious3141 said:
There's a problem - the sequence you're comparing with is zeta(2), which converges (the sum is pi^2/6). However, that sum goes from n = 1 to infinity. When you start with n = 0, the first term is infinite, so obviously the sequence diverges.

I would suggest amending it like so :

[tex]\sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} < \frac{1}{y^2} + \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{1}{y^2} + \frac{\pi^2}{6} [/tex]

BTW, y must be nonzero for convergence.

Math_Frank said:
So What can I conclude that the series

doesn't converge for every [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] ??

/Frank

It converges for all [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]\{0}

Curious3141 said:
It converges for all [tex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]\{0}

Okay,

what about my other conclusions regarding the series ?
Do they look okay?

/Frank

Last edited:
Math_Frank said:
Okay,

what about my other conclusions regarding the series ?
Do they look okay?

/Frank

I honestly do not know enough analysis to comment on those, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to handle those. :smile:

For all real [tex]y\neq 0,[/tex] we have

[tex]f(y) = \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}=\frac{\pi}{2y} \mbox{coth}( \pi y) [/tex]​

EDIT: my bad, I forgot to start with n=0, but hey: who's counting.

Last edited:
Hello benorin,

Could You please check if my other statements about Uniform Convergence and continuety for the series, are correct?

/Frank

benorin said:
For all real [tex]y\neq 0,[/tex] we have

[tex]f(y) = \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}=\frac{\pi}{2y} \mbox{coth}( \pi y) [/tex]​

EDIT: my bad, I forgot to start with n=0, but hey: who's counting.

Last edited:
Convergence is uniform for all non-zero real y, since

[tex]\left| \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}\right| \leq \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] for all [tex]n\geq 1[/tex]

and [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, thus

EDIT: forgot a + sign in this one:

[tex]f(y) = \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}=\frac{1}{y^2}+ \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} [/tex]

converges uniformly for all [tex]y\neq 0[/tex] EDIT: by the Weierstrass M-test. Furthermore, as each term in the series is a continuous function of y, the sum function is also continuous by uniform convergence.

Note that you can derive the formula

[tex]f(y) = \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}
=\frac{\pi}{2y} \mbox{coth}( \pi y) [/tex]​

from the partial fraction expansion of coth(x), which is

[tex]\mbox{coth}( x)= 2x\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2 + \pi ^2n^2}+\frac{1}{x} [/tex]​

Last edited:
Okay Thank You for correcting me :)

One final question though

I need to show that

[tex]lim _{y \rightarrow \infty} f(y) = 0 [/tex]

Can I Do this by Wierstrass M-Test?

/Frank

benorin said:
Convergence is uniform for all non-zero real y, since

[tex]\left| \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}\right| \leq \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] for all [tex]n\geq 1[/tex]

and [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, thus

[tex]f(y) = \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}=\frac{1}{y^2} \sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} [/tex]

converges uniformly for all [tex]y\neq 0[/tex]. Furthermore, as each term in the series is a continuous function of y, the sum function is also continuous by uniform convergence.

Note that you can derive the formula

[tex]f(y) = \sum \limit_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}
=\frac{\pi}{2y} \mbox{coth}( \pi y) [/tex]​

from the partial fraction expansion of coth(x), which is

[tex]\mbox{coth}( x)= 2x\sum \limit_{n=1} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2 + \pi ^2n^2}+\frac{1}{x} [/tex]​

Use uniform convergence, the main idea of uniform convergence is to allow the interchange of limiting processes, such as

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f_n(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}f_n(x)[/tex]

if the series is uniformly convergent for all x. Try it.

Then by Uniform Convergence

[tex]{\lim \sup_{n \rightarrow \infty}} \left| f_n(y) - f(y) \right| = 0[/tex]

Can I then conclude that

[tex]{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}}f(y) = 0[/tex] ??

benorin said:
Use uniform convergence, the main idea of uniform convergence is to allow the interchange of limiting processes, such as

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f_n(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}f_n(x)[/tex]

if the series is uniformly convergent for all x. Try it.

Last edited:
What is meant is, do this:

[tex]\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty}f(y)=\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\lim_{y\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{y^2 + n^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}0=0[/tex]​

1. What is convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series is a concept in mathematics that refers to whether or not a series, or an infinite sum of terms, has a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity.

2. How is convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined by using various tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, or root test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the series and determine if it converges or diverges.

3. What is the significance of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series is important because it allows us to determine if a series has a finite sum or not. This is crucial in many applications, including in physics, engineering, and finance.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

A series is said to be absolutely convergent if the sum of the absolute values of its terms is finite. On the other hand, a series is conditionally convergent if it is convergent but not absolutely convergent.

5. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If a series converges, it means that the terms are approaching a specific value as the number of terms increases. If it were to converge to more than one value, it would not have a well-defined limit.