Will the temperature of CO2 under pressure change when released?

In summary, the CO2 will reach equilibrium temperature equal to its surroundings, and the temp will drop initially due to the adiabatic expansion.
rikpotts
Hi,

Can someone help me find out what happens to temp of CO2 when under pressure? Its hard for me to throw any quantities at this so I am kind of guessing up a scenario.!

Say you have a a steel box of 1m^3 and fill it with CO2 (which is 20'c) to a pressure of say 4 bar and then put this box in a room of constant 20'c.

Will the CO2 eventually reach 20c? Will the temp of the CO2 under pressure initially be above or below 20'c? Does the CO2 only get much colder when it is released from the pressurized container?

Hope someone can help! I really should know this but have sent myself dizzy thinking about it.

Many Thanks
Rik

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the CO2 will reach an equilibrium temperature equal to its surroundings.

Edit:
You do not provide enough information to answer questions about the initial temperature

Last edited:
rikpotts said:
Hi,
<sniped>
Say you have a a steel box of 1m^3 and fill it with CO2 (which is 20'c) to a pressure of say 4 bar and then put this box in a room of constant 20'c.

Will the CO2 eventually reach 20c? Will the temp of the CO2 under pressure initially be above or below 20'c? Does the CO2 only get much colder when it is released from the pressurized container?

At the beginning the CO2 expands against the surrounding air. So it loses some mechanical energy (and the air gains some). This 'adiabatic expansion' results in a temperature drop. I don't have the physical constants on hand to estimate the drop. I would say it will be a few degrees C. At the same time the air warms a bit (but to a lesser degree because more air is involved). In a matter of seconds, the gases are thoroughly mixed and the resultant temp will be 20C.

Wai Wong

1. What happens to the temperature of CO2 when it is under pressure?

When CO2 is placed under pressure, its temperature increases. This is because the molecules in the gas are forced closer together, resulting in more collisions and increased kinetic energy, which manifests as an increase in temperature.

2. How does the pressure affect the temperature of CO2?

The pressure applied to CO2 directly impacts its temperature. As pressure increases, so does the temperature. This is due to the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature known as the ideal gas law.

3. Why does CO2 need to be pressurized for certain applications?

In some applications, such as carbonation in beverages or extraction processes in chemical industries, pressurized CO2 is used because it allows for more efficient and controlled reactions. The increase in pressure also helps to keep CO2 in its liquid state, which is necessary for these processes.

4. Can the temperature of CO2 under pressure be controlled?

Yes, the temperature of CO2 under pressure can be controlled by adjusting the amount of pressure applied. This is because of the direct relationship between pressure and temperature, as described by the ideal gas law.

5. How does the temperature of CO2 under pressure affect its properties?

The temperature of CO2 under pressure can affect its properties in various ways. For example, at lower temperatures and higher pressures, CO2 can exist in its solid form, dry ice. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of CO2 can impact its solubility and reactivity in different substances.