Solve Trig Equation: cos 2x - cos^2x = 0

• Thread starter 01suite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is about a math problem asking to solve for x in the equation cos 2x - cos^2x = 0, with a given interval of -180 degrees < x < 180 degrees. The person has tried solving it and found two solutions, x = 180 and x = 0, but is unsure about how to get -180 as a solution. Another person points out that there could be an additional solution of -180 degrees if the inequalities were not strict. The conversation ends with the original person thanking the other for their help and the expert summarizer providing a final solution of x = 0 as the only solution in the given interval, with the possibility of adding pi and -pi as solutions
01suite
soo okay...i have this question that I am stuck on...

Solve for x,

cos 2x - cos^2x = 0, -180degrees<x<180degrees

i tried solving it...

cos 2x - cos^2x = 0
[2cos^2x -1]-cos^2x = 0
cos^2x -1 = 0 <--(?)
(cos x -1)(cos x +1) = 0
therefore... 1)cos x = -1 , 2)cos x = 1

so...

1)cos x = -1
x = cos^-1 (-1)
x= 180

2) cos x = 1
x = 0

but i have tried on my calculator...and -180 degrees can be one of the answers too...i don't get how to get -180

SOMEONE HELPP...and reply FASTT please and Thank yOU in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well where is cos(x) equal to -1 besides x=180°?

(Also, since the original problem asks for solutions greater than -180° and less than 180°, then neither 180° nor -180° would be solutions. Maybe the problem had -180° ≤ x ≤ 180°)

Last edited:
the thing is...i don't even know if i did the equation right... T.T it seems wrong

How does it "seem wrong"? Either you made a mistake and it's wrong or you didn't and it's right.

I didn't see any mistakes except for the two things I pointed out.

You can plug in the values of x you found into the original equation to check your work.

Last edited:
umm..thanks..

You're doing all right, the solution are [itex]k\pi[/itex] with [itex]k \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].
The only solution in the given interval is x = 0, if the inequalities weren't strict, you have to add pi and -pi as solutions.

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It typically involves finding the values of the variables that satisfy the equation.

What is the difference between solving a trigonometric equation and solving a regular equation?

The main difference is that a trigonometric equation involves trigonometric functions, which have a periodic nature. This means that there can be multiple solutions for the same equation. In contrast, a regular equation typically has only one solution.

What is the basic approach to solving a trigonometric equation?

The basic approach is to use trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable of interest. After this, the equation can be solved by finding the inverse of the trigonometric function or by using a calculator.

What are the common types of trigonometric equations?

Some common types include equations involving one trigonometric function (such as sin x = 0), equations with multiple trigonometric functions (such as sin x + cos x = 1), and equations with trigonometric expressions on both sides of the equation (such as sin x = cos x + 1).

How do we solve the equation cos 2x - cos^2x = 0?

To solve this equation, we can use the double-angle identity cos 2x = 1 - 2sin^2x to rewrite the equation as 1 - 2sin^2x - cos^2x = 0. Then, we can combine like terms and factor to get (1 - cos x)(1 + cos x) = 0. This gives us two possible solutions: cos x = 1 or cos x = -1. Solving for x, we get the solutions x = 0 and x = π.