KE of electron being attracted by 2 protons

In summary, the conversation is about a problem regarding the maximum kinetic energy of an electron being attracted to two stationary protons. The mistake in the calculations is pointed out and a solution is provided, with a reminder to consider the potential energy at the initial position. One of the participants expresses gratitude for the help.
al_201314
Hi everyone,

I have a problem regarding this question. An electron is and it is being attracted to 2 stationary protons. The 2 protons are at a vertical distance of 6x apart and the electron passes through the centre of the line joining the 2 protons (3x below the top proton and 3x above the bottom proton), and at right angle to that line. The electron is released at a distance of 4x from the vertical mid-point of the 2 protons. What is the max KE of the electron?

I found the potential at the mid point of the 2 protons which the electron will pass through to be at e/6(pi)(Enot)x, and eV is the KE so it gives e^2/6(pi)(Enot)x. The answer is wrong and the one I've been given is a 15 at the denominator and not 6. Can anyone point out my mistake? thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
al_201314 said:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem regarding this question. An electron is and it is being attracted to 2 stationary protons. The 2 protons are at a vertical distance of 6x apart and the electron passes through the centre of the line joining the 2 protons (3x below the top proton and 3x above the bottom proton), and at right angle to that line. The electron is released at a distance of 4x from the vertical mid-point of the 2 protons. What is the max KE of the electron?

I found the potential at the mid point of the 2 protons which the electron will pass through to be at e/6(pi)(Enot)x, and eV is the KE so it gives e^2/6(pi)(Enot)x. The answer is wrong and the one I've been given is a 15 at the denominator and not 6. Can anyone point out my mistake? thanks!

It's because you forgot to take into account the fact that the electron has some potential energy at the initial position!
At the initial position, it is at a disatnce of 5x from both proton. Find the potential energy there. Then use conservation of energy and you will see that you will get ther answer (hint: 1/6 -1/10 = 1/15).

Patrick

al_201314 said:
Hi everyone,

It's because you forgot to take into account the fact that the electron has some potential energy at the initial position!
At the initial position, it is at a disatnce of 5x from both proton. Find the potential energy there. Then use conservation of energy and you will see that you will get ther answer (hint: 1/6 -1/10 = 1/15).

Patrick

Thanks Pat for the help I can't imagine I didn't thought of that and to think that my final exams are in november! Thanks agaiN!

al_201314 said:
Thanks Pat for the help I can't imagine I didn't thought of that and to think that my final exams are in november! Thanks agaiN!
You are very welcome!

What is the KE of an electron being attracted by 2 protons?

The KE (kinetic energy) of an electron being attracted by 2 protons depends on the distance between the electron and the protons, as well as the magnitude of the electrical charge of the protons. It can be calculated using the formula KE = (qeqp)/(4πε0r), where qe and qp are the charges of the electron and protons, respectively, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance between the electron and protons.

How does the distance between the electron and protons affect the KE?

The distance between the electron and protons has an inverse relationship with the KE. As the distance increases, the KE decreases, and as the distance decreases, the KE increases. This is because the force of attraction between the electron and protons decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a decrease in the KE.

What is the relationship between the electrical charge of the protons and the KE of the electron?

The KE of the electron is directly proportional to the magnitude of the electrical charge of the protons. As the charge of the protons increases, the KE of the electron also increases. This is because a greater charge on the protons results in a stronger force of attraction, leading to a higher KE for the electron.

Can the KE of the electron ever be negative?

No, the KE of the electron can never be negative. This is because KE is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction. Since the electron is always attracted to the protons, the force and displacement are always in the same direction, resulting in a positive value for KE.

How does the KE of the electron being attracted by 2 protons relate to atomic and molecular bonding?

The KE of an electron being attracted by 2 protons is a fundamental concept in atomic and molecular bonding. It helps explain why atoms and molecules are able to bond together, as the attraction between electrons and protons results in the formation of chemical bonds. The energy released from the formation of these bonds is also related to the KE of the electrons involved.