Which Apple Variety Should I Be Eating?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    apple
In summary, a conversation about apples with a lowercase 'a' that is reveals the speaker's realization of the variety and potential of the fruit. Opinionated responses on the best type of apple are shared, including tart and crunchy varieties such as Fuji, Matsu, Jonagold, and Macintosh. The importance of freshness and local availability is mentioned, as well as unique apple-pear hybrids and the popularity of pick-your-own orchards. Some individuals prefer other fruits such as pears, saskatoons, and nectarines, while others have a preference for specific types like Golden Delicious, Gala, and Pink Lady.
Rach3
(apple with lowercase 'a' that is)

I've suddenly realized I've wasted much of my life not eating apples (I've been a banana person). I always thought apples were a homogenous, boring species - it never occurred to me how much variety there is in this humble fruit. Most apple tastes are still unknown to me: I've tried the green ones (sour and ill-tempered), the Fuji ones (delicious, slightly sweet), the Roma ones (tastes like cardboard), and the yellow ones (neutral). There are still a dozen more at the local grocery. Which ones are the best? Opinionated responses are welcome!

(and yes, I'm aware that it's only mid-July)

Physics news on Phys.org
Rach3 said:

I've suddenly realized I've wasted much of my life not eating apples (I've been a banana person). I always thought apples were a homogenous, boring species - it never occurred to me how much variety there is in this humble fruit. Most apple tastes are still unknown to me: I've tried the green ones (sour and ill-tempered), the Fuji ones (delicious, slightly sweet), the Roma ones (tastes like cardboard), and the yellow ones (neutral). There are still a dozen more at the local grocery. Which ones are the best? Opinionated responses are welcome!

Here you go Rach

http://www.fruitwise.net/menu.html

I prefer a tart apple with crunch.

I like the Fuji, Jonathan, and Macintosh apples. I don't like the really tart ones, except for making pies, then they're wonderful (or mix some of the tart and sweet varieties for a nice blend of flavors).

I don't know how easy they are to find (can't get them here), but a friend of mine developed a really nice one called the Matsu. It's yellow, about the size of a canteloupe, with a taste somewhat like a Golden Delicious combined with a Mac. One apple is enough to make a decent pie.

Danger said:
I don't know how easy they are to find (can't get them here), but a friend of mine developed a really nice one called the Matsu. It's yellow, about the size of a canteloupe, with a taste somewhat like a Golden Delicious combined with a Mac. One apple is enough to make a decent pie.

One of our local "pick your own growers" has Mutsu. It was one of my favorites between Jonagold and Gala. They(Mutsu) are rather large apples aren't they. Winesap is another crunchy with a little bit of tartness. I think it ripens late in the season though.

Last edited:
You know, it's only mid july :rolleyes:

Personally, I prefer using a Dell.

Last edited:
The only kind I prefer is a great big crunchy Red Delicious.

They're the ones that are of a size, shape and colour closer to a sweet red pepper than an apple.

larkspur said:
One of our local "pick your own growers" has Matsu. It was one of my favorites between Jonagold and Gala. They(Matsu) are rather large apples aren't they. Winesap is another crunchy with a little bit of tartness. I think it ripens late in the season though.
Oh, yes, Jonagold and Gala are good too! :approve: I don't think I've ever had a winesap. They must not be grown locally enough to appear in our stores.

I've never heard of a Matsu. I'll have to keep an eye out in case they appear somewhere and I don't recognize them as an apple. :biggrin:

Dave, I like a crispy red delicious too, very sweet. But, I rarely can find crispy ones. Either they are stored too long before getting to the stores, or they don't survive transportation very well, because they just don't seem to have much crispness when I find them. Golden delicious is good too. Not quite as sweet as the red delicious, but usually crisper.

Oh, okay, I admit it, I like pretty much every kind of apple I've tried except Granny Smith. Those are the really tart, green ones. They're just too tart for me, but make good pies.

Moonbear said:
. . . Granny Smith. Those are the really tart, green ones. They're just too tart for me, but make good pies.
Or baked apples. Take the core out and fill with mincemeat, or raisin, sultanas, currants and spices. Then bake. :tongue2:

BTW, mincemeat pies are great! :tongue2:

Granny Apples(green ones). Red Delicious.
But i prefer Pears...especially the chinese one.

My favorite are Empire Apples. They are crunchy, sweet and somehow always feel cool when you bite into them, even after they've been sitting in my bag lunch all morning

Japanese apple-pear (or pear-apple, I forget). Best when chilled.

http://www.reneauranch.com/html/apple_guide.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
larkspur said:
One of our local "pick your own growers" has Mutsu. It was one of my favorites between Jonagold and Gala. They(Mutsu) are rather large apples aren't they. Winesap is another crunchy with a little bit of tartness. I think it ripens late in the season though.
Pick-your-own mutsu apples are on my short list of reasons to live. There is a singularly outstanding orchard/farm we go to every year (several times per year) where they have over a dozen different kinds of apples, plus peaches and nectarines and pears... arggh! When will Summer be over!

I don't like delicious apples. They are too soft. I like a crisp snappy tart apple. The one I've had the best luck with lately is Braburn. Not sure on the spelling.

I usually buy Mac's or another one that I can't remember off hand, but I'm really not much of an apple fan. The best fruit in the world by far are saskatoons and nectarines...I could live off those.

Regarding apples, I prefer Golden Delicious.

I used to like Gala apples the best when I still lived in southern California, but since moving up to the northern wine-growing region of the state, I've been introduced to the Pink Lady, and let me tell you, there is nothing better. Not only do they taste terrific and maintain a wonderful crunch, but they are among the most beautiful fruits you'll ever see. I realize that doesn't much matter, but people actually comment on how bright and delicious-looking the apples are when I eat them in public.

Rach3 said:

royal gala & jonagold apples are definitely the best. i can't stand the softer ones like macintosh, etc

Rach3 said:
...Most apple tastes are still unknown to me: I've tried the green ones (sour and ill-tempered), the Fuji ones (delicious, slightly sweet), the Roma ones (tastes like cardboard), and the yellow ones (neutral). There are still a dozen more at the local grocery. Which ones are the best? Opinionated responses are welcome!

Gala is my favorite, especially if they've just been picked. They lose a lot of character in cold storage, but they are wonderful fresh.

1. Which apple variety is the healthiest?

There is not one specific apple variety that can be considered the healthiest as all apples offer various nutritional benefits. However, studies have shown that Granny Smith apples have the highest levels of antioxidants compared to other varieties.

2. What is the difference between red and green apples?

The main difference between red and green apples is their skin color. However, green apples tend to be more tart and have a higher level of acidity, while red apples are sweeter and have a lower acidity level. Additionally, red apples tend to have a thinner skin compared to green apples.

3. Are organic apples better than conventional apples?

Organic apples are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. This means that they may have a lower risk of contamination from these chemicals compared to conventional apples. However, both organic and conventional apples offer similar nutritional benefits.

4. Can I eat apple seeds?

Apple seeds contain a compound called amygdalin, which can release hydrogen cyanide when digested. However, it would take a large amount of apple seeds to cause harm. It is generally recommended to avoid consuming apple seeds, but accidentally swallowing a few will not cause any harm.

5. Which apple variety is best for baking?

The best apple variety for baking depends on personal preference. However, some popular choices include Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, and Braeburn apples. These varieties hold their shape well when baked and offer a balance of tartness and sweetness.