Graduate School Chances with Low Math GPA and Learning Disability?

In summary, the individual is in their 4th year of an undergraduate physics degree and has concerns about their grades in math and the potential impact on their chances of getting into graduate school. They have a history of struggling with their grades, but have improved in physics after retaking some classes. They also have a learning disability that they have not disclosed to their university. They are unsure if they should bring it up when applying to graduate school.
mewmew
I will be going into my 4th year(out of 5) of my undergraduate physics degree this year and have some questions, but first my back story. I did horrible my first quarter of school, I got D's and C's in my physics and math classes so I decided to just take some gen. ed. classes, which boosted my GPA. I decided I really loved physics so starting my second year of school I restarted physics and re-took the classes I did poorly in before. I did much better in my physics and not so much better in math. I also wasn't informed I had to fill out grade replacement forms even though I asked about it so the original D's are calculated in my GPA.

Now looking over my grades they all look pretty good besides math, which is unacceptably low. I have a ~1.6(out of 4) with no F's, I also had to take a foreign language(latin) in which I have a 2.1. In physics I have a 2.93 because the first D is still being calculated into it, but I have all A's and B's after the first bad grade. I feel these grades are really going to kill any chances of getting into graduate school I have.

Even though I intend to take higher level math realistically I think I can only get my math GPA up to a 2.0, perhaps a little higher if I am lucky. Will a ~3.0 in physics and a ~2.0 in math give me any chance of getting into a decent graduate school?

Also, in grade school I was diagnosed with a learning disability which includes slight dyslexia, this basically means your average test is generally not a good indication of my learned knowledge. I haven't brought it up here in university at all but feel it contributes a large part to my math scores being extremely low, even though I feel I grasp the material. Should I ever bring this up when applying? I don't feel as though I should as I don't want it to seem as I am using it as a crutch but with sub par grades I have to take any advantage I can get. Sorry for making this so long but I am really need to look into my options at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
mewmew said:
I will be going into my 4th year(out of 5) of my undergraduate physics degree this year and have some questions, but first my back story. I did horrible my first quarter of school, I got D's and C's in my physics and math classes so I decided to just take some gen. ed. classes, which boosted my GPA. I decided I really loved physics so starting my second year of school I restarted physics and re-took the classes I did poorly in before. I did much better in my physics and not so much better in math. I also wasn't informed I had to fill out grade replacement forms even though I asked about it so the original D's are calculated in my GPA.

Now looking over my grades they all look pretty good besides math, which is unacceptably low. I have a ~1.6(out of 4) with no F's, I also had to take a foreign language(latin) in which I have a 2.1. In physics I have a 2.93 because the first D is still being calculated into it, but I have all A's and B's after the first bad grade. I feel these grades are really going to kill any chances of getting into graduate school I have.

Even though I intend to take higher level math realistically I think I can only get my math GPA up to a 2.0, perhaps a little higher if I am lucky. Will a ~3.0 in physics and a ~2.0 in math give me any chance of getting into a decent graduate school?

Also, in grade school I was diagnosed with a learning disability which includes slight dyslexia, this basically means your average test is generally not a good indication of my learned knowledge. I haven't brought it up here in university at all but feel it contributes a large part to my math scores being extremely low, even though I feel I grasp the material. Should I ever bring this up when applying? I don't feel as though I should as I don't want it to seem as I am using it as a crutch but with sub par grades I have to take any advantage I can get. Sorry for making this so long but I am really need to look into my options at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What is your combined math/physics GPA?

mewmew said:

You need to document this with your current school. I have worked a lot with students with disabilities (both learning and not) while I was a TA and tutor. It is very important that you go through the process of having your current school recognize your learning disability. The reason is this will be documented when grad schools start looking into your grades. This is very important.

From one person with a little dyslexia to another- keep trying. It can be hard- but keep it up.

Cheers,
Ryan

i know a lot of graduate programs require a minimum GPA. some schoos it's like a 3.5 GPA (i believe UCLA?) and i know the grad program at Stony Brook (which is really good for mathematics and physics) requires a 3.0 GPA

check out various schools and their requirements. check out "So you want to be a physicist" for the NRC rankings of the graduate programs for mathematics and physics, even though it was taken in 1995, it is still roughly accurate. pick out some schools from that list, see if you qualify.

also, i emailed a lot of graduate directors to gauge my chances, even though I'm just starting my junior year.

good luck, don't give up.

Mewmew, I've talk to some people at certain grad schools. They might offer an alternative to people that don't meet the minimum requirements of GPA. They allow you to take the same grad courses that would be in your major under like a provisional status and if you do well in those classes, then there is a good chance that they will accept you into that grad college of choice.

Thanks for the responses so far, It is interesting that my math is so low, just because calculus 1-3 and the labs are the only thing calculated into my "math" GPA. For whatever reason calculus 4, linear algebra, etc. are all calculated into my "physics" GPA and I did ok in those classes. Should I retake my calculus classes and go for a higher grade? I am just worried it will look bad to retake basic math classes so late in my degree, but as long as they are A/B's should I assume it would be looked upon better?

I would say yes. A better grade will look better. I wouldn't worry about the retaking part. It is better to have retaken and gotten a good grade than it is to let a bad grade just stay on there.

At the end of this year you will have to start thinking about taking the GRE also. This is an exam that most school require in some form or another to apply for grad schools.

JasonJo said:
also, i emailed a lot of graduate directors to gauge my chances, even though I'm just starting my junior year.

That's possibly a good idea. I hadn't considered doing that.

What are the chances of getting into graduate school?

The chances of getting into graduate school vary depending on a number of factors, such as your academic background, test scores, letters of recommendation, and the competitiveness of the program you are applying to. Generally, the more competitive the program, the lower the acceptance rate and the lower your chances of getting in. It's important to research the program and its requirements thoroughly and present your strongest application to increase your chances.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into graduate school?

There are several things you can do to improve your chances of getting into graduate school. One of the most important is to have a strong academic record, including a high GPA and challenging coursework. Additionally, you can work on gaining relevant experience, such as research or internships, and getting strong letters of recommendation. It's also important to thoroughly research the programs you are applying to and tailor your application materials to fit their specific requirements and preferences.

Do I have to have a high GPA to get into graduate school?

While a high GPA can certainly improve your chances of getting into graduate school, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Other factors, such as research experience, test scores, and letters of recommendation, can also play a significant role. It's important to present a well-rounded application that highlights your strengths in all areas, not just your GPA.

What if I don't have a lot of research experience?

Research experience can be an important factor in graduate school admissions, especially for research-focused programs. However, it is not always a requirement and there are other ways to demonstrate your potential for success in graduate school. For example, you can highlight any relevant internships, projects, or coursework that demonstrate your skills and knowledge in your field of interest. You can also use your personal statement or letters of recommendation to showcase your passion and motivation for pursuing graduate studies.

How important are test scores in graduate school admissions?

Test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT, are often required for graduate school admissions and can be an important factor in the decision-making process. However, they are not the only factor and may be weighed differently depending on the program. It's important to research the requirements and expectations of the programs you are applying to and prepare accordingly. If you feel your test scores do not accurately reflect your abilities, you can also use other parts of your application to showcase your potential for success in graduate school.