Can Copper Alloys Be Electropurified to Achieve 99.99% Pure Copper?

• Thread starter amarnath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of using electrolytic refining to purify a copper alloy with 50-90% copper composition into pure copper. The process of electrolytic refining is commonly used for blister copper, but it may be difficult to control the reduction/oxidation potential for multiple elements in an alloy. It is suggested to start with pure metals and then alloy them, rather than trying to purify an alloy through electrolytic refining. The person asking the question is seeking advice on the optimum current density and any commercially available electrolytic cells for large scale operations.
amarnath
Hi all,

I know in copper mining industries copper which is at 99% pure ( Blister copper ) which is electropurified to 99.99% by simple electrochemical cell consist of copper sulfate as electrolyte bath along some sulfuric acid in it.
My question is it possible to do this same process say for eg to electropurify a alloy of copper + other metals in which copper will be 50 to 90 % of composition to get pure copper from copper alloy by electropurification possible . Pls advice

If possible can pls elaborate optimium current density for such process to be economical at large scale (Also helpful if advice any commerical avaliable electrolytic cells for large scale operations ) i need to electropurify a copper alloy with 50 to 90% copper to get pure copper 99.99% . pls help me with as much as details possible. Good lucks to all

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, metal 'alloys' are prepared by melting. If one wants ultrapure metal (alloy), it would be melting in a vacuum (Vacuum arc melting) and usually triple melted, i.e. 3 successive meltings. One would start with metals as pure as possible.

Electrolytic refining is a problem because each element has a different reduction/oxidation potential, and that would be difficult to control. For two elements, and even more so as the number of alloy consituents increase.

Its not about preparation of alloys

Hi Astronuc,

Thanks for a answer. My actual question is not regarding preparation of ultrapure alloy's but its about electrolytic refining of alloy into constituent metals.

If electrolytic refining of alloy ie. blister copper to pure copper is if problem why its employed commerical and as economically feasible operation , so pls let me know is such same process can be employed with say 50% copper alloy to pure copper

1. What is copper electropurification?

Copper electropurification is a process used to extract pure copper from impure copper ores or recycling materials. It involves passing an electric current through a solution of copper ions, causing the pure copper to deposit onto the cathode while impurities are left behind on the anode.

2. How does copper electropurification work?

Copper electropurification works by using an electrolytic cell with a copper anode and a copper cathode immersed in a solution of copper sulfate. When an electric current is passed through the cell, the copper ions in the solution are attracted to the cathode and deposit as pure copper, while impurities are left behind on the anode.

3. What are the benefits of copper electropurification?

Copper electropurification offers several benefits, including a more efficient and cost-effective way of extracting pure copper compared to traditional methods. It also produces a higher purity of copper, making it suitable for use in electronic and electrical applications.

4. What are the applications of copper electropurification?

Copper electropurification is commonly used in the production of pure copper for electronic and electrical components, such as wiring, motors, and printed circuit boards. It can also be used in the recycling of copper from electronic waste and other sources.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of copper electropurification?

One potential drawback of copper electropurification is the high energy consumption required to run the process. Another drawback is the potential for environmental harm if the process is not properly managed and waste products are not disposed of correctly.