How are withdrawals looked at for graduate school/employment?

• Schools
  • Thread starter 0rthodontist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary: The main reason you might not be qualified is because you don't have the required knowledge. This seminar is focused on working with a town's wireless network, which would require knowledge in networking and telecommunications.
0rthodontist
Science Advisor
How are withdrawals looked at for graduate school/employment? They do not affect GPA at all but is there a downside besides not having finished the course?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many legitimate reasons for withdrawing from a course which have nothing to do with student performance: health problems, etc. Withdrawals should have no bearings on your admission to graduate school, but you might want to check and see if they even end up on your transcript. If you take a course again later, many schools will completely obliterate any previous grade or withdrawal flag.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that employers won't care; they rarely look at anything beyond your final GPA. Few actually request transcripts.

- Warren

Just don't accumulate them, that does not look good. Here a withdrawl counts as an attempt. Don't pass by the 3rd attempt and your kicked out.

I'm taking a course-seminar taught by some grad students working with a town wireless network. The course got organized very late. However despite getting the approval of the grad students I'm not sure I'm qualified to do this. My options are:
--Drop in the next half hour with no record (the course was only officially created on the registration system within the past hour)
--Wait a few weeks and find out for sure, and if I'm not qualified then withdraw. If I keep on with the course then I'd guess there's around a 50% chance I'd withdraw.
This course is probably a 1 time deal, no option to repeat. It's not necessary to my major but if it turns out I can do it then it is experience I'd like to have.

Take it pass/fail.

Why do you think your not qualified? what knowledge do you think you lack?

Some colleges have limits on how many repeats you can have for your degree, the strictest I heard of was 4. However, if this class is a one time only shot that would probably be counted as an elective or something, it might not matter as you wouldn't be repeating it anyway.

1. How do withdrawals affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Withdrawals can have a negative impact on your graduate school application, especially if they are frequent or if they occur in courses related to your intended field of study. Admissions committees may view withdrawals as a lack of commitment or the inability to handle academic challenges. However, if you have a valid reason for withdrawing and can explain it in your application, it may not significantly impact your chances.

2. Will withdrawals on my transcript affect my chances of getting a job after graduate school?

It depends on the employer and the nature of the job you are applying for. Some employers may view withdrawals as a lack of perseverance or academic ability, while others may not consider them as important. It is important to be honest about your withdrawals and provide a valid explanation if asked during the job application process.

3. Does it matter if I withdraw from a course that is not related to my intended field of study?

Withdrawals from courses that are not relevant to your desired graduate program or job may have less impact than withdrawals from core courses. However, they may still raise questions about your academic performance and commitment, so it is best to avoid withdrawing from any course unless absolutely necessary.

4. Can I explain my withdrawals in my graduate school or job application?

Yes, you can and should explain withdrawals if they are a significant part of your academic record. Be honest and provide a valid explanation, such as a personal or medical issue, to show that the withdrawals were not due to lack of effort or ability.

5. Can I retake a course that I withdrew from to improve my chances?

Yes, you can retake a course that you withdrew from to improve your academic record. However, it is important to note that the withdrawal will still appear on your transcript and may be considered by admissions committees or employers. It is best to retake the course and do well in it to show that you have improved and are committed to your academic and professional goals.