Solving Probability Problems: Binomial & Poisson Distribution Formulas

• Thread starter NickLippy
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses four questions related to probability and distributions. The speaker expresses difficulty in solving them and requests solutions with detailed steps. The questions involve calculating probabilities for different scenarios such as defective chips in a shipment, system breakdowns, gender ratios in families, and number of people arriving at a bank. The speaker also mentions that these problems may involve the use of binomial or Poisson distribution formulas, as well as calculating combinations.
NickLippy
I have these four questions I'm having trouble solving...
Could anyone write the solutions, but with steps on how they did it so I can possibly learn! Thanks a lot

I'm pretty sure they use the binomial or poisson distribution formulas... can't get proper answers

1. In a large shipment of chips, 5% are defective. What is the probability that exactly two out of a sample of ten are defective?

2. On average, a system breaks down every 50hrs. Find the probability of more than two break-downs in a 24hr period.

3. Show that there are more families of 6 children split 4-2 than those with 3 boys and 3 girls.

4. People arrive at a bank at the rate of 60 per hour. Find the chance of getting 0,1,2 or 3 in the next minute.

Physics news on Phys.org
You learn by doing things yourself. (1) is a "binomial distribution" problem, (2) and (4) are Poisson distribution, and (3) is just a matter of calculating the number of combinations.

1. To solve this problem using the binomial distribution formula, we first need to identify the values for n, p, and x.
n = 10 (sample size)
p = 0.05 (probability of defective chips)
x = 2 (number of defective chips we want to find the probability for)

Next, we can plug these values into the formula:
P(x) = nCx * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x)

P(2) = 10C2 * 0.05^2 * (1-0.05)^(10-2)
= 45 * 0.0025 * 0.951
= 0.1074

Therefore, the probability of exactly two out of a sample of ten chips being defective is 0.1074 or 10.74%.

2. To solve this problem using the poisson distribution formula, we first need to identify the value for λ (mean number of breakdowns in a 24hr period).
λ = 24/50 = 0.48

Next, we can plug this value into the formula:
P(x > 2) = 1 - P(x ≤ 2) = 1 - (e^-λ * (λ^0/0!) + e^-λ * (λ^1/1!) + e^-λ * (λ^2/2!))
= 1 - (0.6094 + 0.2923 + 0.1404)
= 0.0579

Therefore, the probability of more than two breakdowns in a 24hr period is 0.0579 or 5.79%.

3. To show that there are more families of 6 children split 4-2 than those with 3 boys and 3 girls, we can use the binomial distribution formula.
For 4-2 split, we have n = 6 (number of children), p = 0.5 (probability of having a boy or a girl), and x = 4 (number of boys we want to find the probability for).
P(x) = 6C4 * 0.5^4 * (1-0.5)^(6-4)
= 15 * 0.0625 * 0.25
= 0.2344

For 3 boys and

1. What does "Need Help Solving These" mean?

"Need Help Solving These" is a phrase commonly used when asking for assistance with solving a problem or completing a task. It indicates that the person is struggling and is seeking help from others.

2. How do I ask for help with "Need Help Solving These"?

The best way to ask for help with "Need Help Solving These" is to clearly state the problem or task you are struggling with and provide as much information as possible. This will help others understand the issue and provide more effective assistance.

3. Who can I ask for help with "Need Help Solving These"?

You can ask anyone for help with "Need Help Solving These". This could include friends, family, classmates, colleagues, or professionals in the field related to the problem or task you are struggling with.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills with "Need Help Solving These"?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills with "Need Help Solving These" is to practice regularly and seek out challenging problems to solve. You can also seek feedback and guidance from others to learn new strategies and approaches.

5. What are some common challenges when solving problems with "Need Help Solving These"?

Some common challenges when solving problems with "Need Help Solving These" include lack of understanding or knowledge, difficulty finding a starting point, and getting stuck on one approach. It is important to stay patient, ask for help when needed, and try different strategies if one is not working.