How Can I Get More Decimal Places on My TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

In summary, the conversation was about a person needing their calculator to display more decimal places for a specific equation. Various solutions were suggested, such as using the "float" display digits setting and using an input with more significant digits. Additionally, it was noted that for the given inputs, the output should not be more precise than 4 significant digits.
waviaerith
Okay, when I type in this equation 2(-1.999^2)+5(-1.999) the answer it gives me is -2.003, which would be great, BUT I need it to be more exact, I need it to say -2.002998 (as older calculators do) I've tried all three modes (exact, approx, and auto) and none of them are allowing me more decimal places. Is there a way that I can change how many decimal places my calculator shows??:confused:
Please help, anyone??
Thanks~

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Well first of all its 5(-1.999)-2(-1.999^2) to get -2.002998. I get that answer by using approx. with "float" display digits.

EDIT: the display digits setting is on the 1st page when you hit "mode"

Press up and highlight the answer and then press enter, in the bar at the bottom it should give you the answer to like 15 decimal places, how much more exact to do you need? :D

Also yes, as ranger said, if you want a more permanent solution, use float 6 or 7. (Or as I just learned, "float" works too) =-)

Last edited:
Also when you press Enter, hit the green diamond button first. That gives you the 'approximate answer' and if you're already doing that, then go to the Mode, display digits, Float 12. It will show all decimal digits up to 12 places (if there are 12) and then it starts rounding.

As far as I understand significant digits..here goes:

I noticed that your inputs are of 4 significant digits accuracity excluding 2, meaning your output should not be in any way more precise(more significant digits) than the input (4 SD). Maybe instead of -1.999 write -1.99900 that should give the result to 6 SD.

-2.002998 is technically not correct any number in the range of -2.002950 to -2.003049 could be the answer therefore technically you are only allowed to write -2.003.

What is the TI-89 Titanium equation help feature?

The TI-89 Titanium equation help feature is a built-in function on the TI-89 Titanium calculator that allows users to solve equations and systems of equations using numerical or symbolic methods.

How do I access the equation help feature on my TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To access the equation help feature on your TI-89 Titanium calculator, press the "Apps" button and navigate to the "Equation Solver" option. Alternatively, you can press "F2" and then select "2: Algebra" and then "8: Equation Solver".

Can the TI-89 Titanium equation help feature solve both numeric and symbolic equations?

Yes, the equation help feature on the TI-89 Titanium calculator can solve both numeric and symbolic equations. Users can choose the desired mode by pressing "F3" and selecting either "1: Numeric" or "3: Symbolic".

What types of equations can the TI-89 Titanium equation help feature solve?

The TI-89 Titanium equation help feature can solve a variety of equations, including linear, quadratic, polynomial, radical, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations. It can also solve systems of equations with multiple variables.

Is there a limit to the number of equations or variables the TI-89 Titanium equation help feature can solve at once?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of equations and variables the TI-89 Titanium equation help feature can handle at one time. The calculator can solve up to 10 equations with 10 variables each in numeric mode, and up to 3 equations with 3 variables each in symbolic mode.