Exploring 202A, 205, and 214: Insights from Berkeley Grad Students in Maths

In summary, when considering which maths courses to take, it is important to consider who is teaching the course. 202A is a basic course that is taken by many undergraduates. 205, taught by Sarason, was found to be difficult, boring, and harshly graded. The conversationalists suggest avoiding it unless one is particularly interested in complex analysis. 214 is a standard course in differential geometry and Lie groups, and the individual asking for opinions has enjoyed both complex analysis and differential topology in the past. Another individual mentions liking 185 but disliking 205 due to its technical nature.
SeReNiTy
Any Berkeley grad students in maths here?

Just want to get your opinions on the following subjects,

202A

Pros and cons?

Physics news on Phys.org
It greatly depends on who's teaching the course. Of those three 202A is the most basic. It's taken by about 50% undergraduates. My only experience with 205 is when Sarason taught it, and I did not enjoy it. It was hard, boring, and harshly graded. Unless you really like complex analysis, I wouldn't take it from him. 214 is a standard course in differnetial geometry with some Lie groups stuff. What do you actually want to know?

Well I'm a undergraduate student at the moment, and I was thinking of taking 2/3 of those units mentioned above. I've definitely decided on 202A and now I'm trying to decide between 214 and 205. Previously, I've enjoyed both complex analysis and differential topology.

Who are you? I'm an undergraduate too.

Also, I really liked 185, but hated 205. It was totally technical stuff. For instance, we spend two weeks proving a bound on one of the coefficients of the taylor expansion of a holomorphic map. That's not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

1. Who are Berkeley grad students?

Berkeley grad students are students enrolled in graduate programs at the University of California, Berkeley.

2. How many Berkeley grad students are there?

As of Fall 2020, there are approximately 11,558 graduate students at UC Berkeley.

3. What programs do Berkeley grad students typically enroll in?

Berkeley grad students can enroll in a wide range of programs, including business, law, engineering, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences.

4. How competitive is it to get into a graduate program at Berkeley?

Berkeley graduate programs are highly competitive, with an average acceptance rate of around 20%. However, acceptance rates vary depending on the specific program and department.

5. What opportunities are available for Berkeley grad students outside of academics?

Berkeley grad students have access to a variety of opportunities outside of academics, including research, internships, leadership positions, and extracurricular activities. The university also offers resources for professional development and career advancement.