Binary symmetric channel capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a binary symmetric channel denoted as C. The formula for the channel is C=1+plogp+(1-p)log(1-p). The speaker also asks about the meaning of ";" in X;Y and requests for additional resources on the topic. Another person replies to keep the conversation going and invites others to share their knowledge on the subject.
dervast
Hi to our nice community. I want to learn why
in a binary symetric channel the channel is calculated as
C=1+plogp+(1-p)log(1-p)

I only know that the channel is denoted as C=maxI(X;Y)
btw what ; means in X;Y?
Unfortunately my book doesn't mention these things so if u can reply me or provide me with some good links that will be rezlly nicenow i need something more
Why in a binary symetric channel the channel is calculated for
C=1+plogp+(1-p)log(1-p)

I only know that the channel is denoted as C=maxI(X;Y)
btw what ; means in X;Y?
Unfortunately my book doesn't mention these things so if u can reply me or provide me with some good links that will be rezlly nice

Physics news on Phys.org
Replying so that this thread isn't a no-reply, as per Greg's wishes.
If anyone has knowledge on this subject, feel free to reply.

1. What is a binary symmetric channel (BSC)?

A binary symmetric channel is a communication channel that transmits binary (two-state) data, where the probability of error is the same for both states. This means that the channel has an equal chance of flipping a transmitted bit from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0.

2. How is the capacity of a binary symmetric channel calculated?

The capacity of a binary symmetric channel is calculated using Shannon's channel capacity formula, which takes into account the channel's bandwidth and signal-to-noise ratio. It can be represented as C = 1 - H(p), where H(p) is the Shannon entropy of the channel's error probability (p).

3. What factors affect the capacity of a binary symmetric channel?

The capacity of a binary symmetric channel is affected by the channel's bandwidth, signal-to-noise ratio, and error probability. A wider bandwidth and higher signal-to-noise ratio can increase the channel's capacity, while a higher error probability can decrease it.

4. What is the maximum capacity of a binary symmetric channel?

The maximum capacity of a binary symmetric channel is achieved when the error probability (p) is set to 0.5. In this case, the channel's capacity is equal to 1 bit per channel use. This means that the channel can transmit one bit of information with complete accuracy on average.

5. How is the capacity of a binary symmetric channel related to its error correction capability?

The capacity of a binary symmetric channel is inversely related to its error correction capability. This means that as the channel's capacity increases, its ability to correct errors decreases. Therefore, a higher capacity channel may require more advanced error correction techniques to maintain a low error rate.