What to wear when applying or going for an interview?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary: Granted, they were designer jeans, but still. They were impressed with my professionalism and it showed. A suit is always a good idea.
mr_coffee said:
Its nice once you find out there are certain suites for certain builds. It was forever until I found "athletic" fit dress shirts, makes a huge difference.

Well, that's not too hard.

You just have to get the right cut, number of sleats, vents, etc... You figure that out by being honest about your size, and seeing what it looks like on you.

I definitely recommend anyone to look into it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just had an on the spot interview today at an Accounting firm. Sweetness!

Then I got called for an interview at another Accounting firm, and the accounting department at a school board. Double sweetness!

What will you be doing at these firms?

cyrusabdollahi said:
What will you be doing at these firms?

The firm I went to today will be mostly taxes. The other firm I'm not sure yet.

what type of degree? is this what you were planning on doing or just need money?

mr_coffee said:
what type of degree? is this what you were planning on doing or just need money?

I'll be getting my Bachelor's of Science degree in April 2008 and my Business Diploma in April as well.

I plan on going into the financial sector. My plans were to start as a financial analyst, but to have tax experience, that's a huge bonus. To know the real tax implications behind investments is definitely a big asset.

I'll be doing this for money, and I'd like to continue graduate school part-time.

1.) get a shirt that fits right. too often dress shirts are simply way too big for guys. If you can grab a fistful of shirt in the back when you have it on, the shirt is too big. Also, it shouldn't be real baggy underneath the arms. You want shirts that have "fitted" cuts. Banana republic has good dress shirts that fit properly. Sometimes finding the right shirt with a "fitted" cut is hard to find because of the neck.

2.) Learn how to tie a tie correctly. It doesn't matter how good of a suit you have, if someone ties their tie like crap they look stupid.

baggy pants and a clown nose is never out of style.

I give a little bit of counter argument here.

Being yourself is very important as well. That does of course not mean you can dresss shabby but if you never wear a suit then don't overdo it now. But of course make sure the clothing and shoes are clean.

It also depends on the function and your age, for a representative function there is obviously no argument against looking as sharp as possible.

I have been in positions where I interviewed and hired many people and I can easily spot a person who is not used to wearing a suit. :smile:

If you are comfortable and celebrate life, then go for the bowtie (but not a black one)!

Last edited:
2.) Learn how to tie a tie correctly. It doesn't matter how good of a suit you have, if someone ties their tie like crap they look stupid.

So true, my dad went to the Navy and showed me all the crazy tie methods they learned, comes in handy!

lollercide w/ a side of lollerspaghetti

mathwonk said:
baggy pants and a clown nose is never out of style.

:rofl: You're crazy man, that's why I love you! You always say the most obscure things at the right moment.

And don't go overboard on the suits. If you are going to be showing up for meetings in an advisory position, it is sometimes an advantage to dress to the customer's level or even a bit below, especially if you have a youthful appearance. Clients will always forgive a young fellow for showing up neat, clean and well-tailored in inexpensive clothing, but might well be distracted by what is apparently very costly clothing. Well-tailored blazers and sport coats with neat dress slacks can sometimes present an air of confidence and comfort that settles customers down. Know your customers. I was a technical consultant in the paper industry for years and when I was invited to or hosted a social affair with the "big guns" in the industry (evening out or weekend at a resort) I made it a point not to "dress up" to the point where I looked fancier than my clients. When you're socializing with a fellow to whom you've been pitching $$$$ technical-service/sales deals, it behooves you to make him comfortable and make him look good. I once showed up to a social affair when my company's sales manager and technical manager, and a critical client-in-the making and I were all wearing affordable lightweight tweedy-looking silk jackets from S+K. We made a joke out of it, especially after it turned out that each of our wives had selected the jackets, and we had our picture taken together. We joked that our wives had called each other up and conspired to have us show up dressed alike, etc. The client's wife was a good sport and went along with the "conspiracy" story and we had a wonderful evening.

That production manager (akin to God in a paper mill) was a real down-to-earth guy and since he knew me from mill visits and had never met my managers before, he might have been put off by blue pin-stripe suits, etc. As it was, we got the conference organizers to adjust dinner seating arrangements so that we and our wives could sit together and we started a pretty comfortable two-way business relationship soon after.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
And don't go overboard on the suits. If you are going to be showing up for meetings in an advisory position, it is sometimes an advantage to dress to the customer's level or even a bit below, especially if you have a youthful appearance. Clients will always forgive a young fellow for showing up neat, clean and well-tailored in inexpensive clothing, but might well be distracted by what is apparently very costly clothing. Well-tailored blazers and sport coats with neat dress slacks can sometimes present an air of confidence and comfort that settles customers down. Know your customers. I was a technical consultant in the paper industry for years and when I was invited to or hosted a social affair with the "big guns" in the industry (evening out or weekend at a resort) I made it a point not to "dress up" to the point where I looked fancier than my clients. When you're socializing with a fellow to whom you've been pitching $$$$ technical-service/sales deals, it behooves you to make him comfortable and make him look good. I once showed up to a social affair when my company's sales manager and technical manager, and a critical client-in-the making and I were all wearing affordable lightweight tweedy-looking silk jackets from S+K. We made a joke out of it, especially after it turned out that each of our wives had selected the jackets, and we had our picture taken together. We joked that our wives had called each other up and conspired to have us show up dressed alike, etc. The client's wife was a good sport and went along with the "conspiracy" story and we had a wonderful evening.

That production manager (akin to God in a paper mill) was a real down-to-earth guy and since he knew me from mill visits and had never met my managers before, he might have been put off by blue pin-stripe suits, etc. As it was, we got the conference organizers to adjust dinner seating arrangements so that we and our wives could sit together and we started a pretty comfortable two-way business relationship soon after.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I my job wouldn't necessarily deal with clients. Let's say a client wants their taxes done, I would assume they would rather have a nicely dressed person who looks professional because they're doing your taxes and not trying to sell you something. They want to see confidence in the person behind the table. Same with finances, people want to see people who they can trust with to manage their money.

Note: When I say finances, I don't mean sell people insurance or mutual funds.

Another piece of advice, because you're working in finance, keep that haircut razor sharp.

(speaking of which, I need one too.) My hair sucks, it does not stay down or in place. I hate my hair. My hair is thick, not thin so its never straight. I have that italian/greek hair brushed back look.

Last edited:
thank you cyrus, i am greatly in your debt for appreciation of insanity.

i admit i am something of a disciple of the patch adams school of interviewing.

Last edited:
Amazing! On a physics/engineering/mathematics/other-science concerns forum board, a discussion of manner of dress occurs and is maintained for several days.
JasonRox, wear whatever you believe is best for the several meetings which you attend, and then tell us how everything goes.

I find this more interesting than the overflow of, "why isn't my GPA a 4.0?" or the classic, how can I be the best threads.

Last edited:
I think this thread was definitely necessary. Everyone is talking about all the possibilities of things you can wear while considering the area you're going into.

I'll try to get a picture of myself in a suit, and then a more casual one.

I think a lot of people don't know how to dress socially, no matter what the major or personality.

Id say, if your at work, make it a habbit to dress sharp. You can always make someone feel comfortable around you if they are not dressed as well as you by being friendly and open with them. Showing them your not a stuckup in a suit will lower their defense.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I think a lot of people don't know how to dress socially, no matter what the major or personality.

Id say, if your at work, make it a habbit to dress sharp. You can always make someone feel comfortable around you if they are not dressed as well as you by being friendly and open with them. Showing them your not a stuckup in a suit will lower their defense.

Exactly, I agree with that. And once you show how friendly you are, you become even more valuable because you're now well-dressed and cool. :biggrin:

Always wear a suit, button down collared shirt, tie, and freshly polished conservative dress shoes to an interview, unless otherwise directed. It shows respect and desire to present yourself at your best. You can always remove the coat and tie if you feel overdressed. No reasonably sane person will think less of you for showing up 'overdressed'. Leave the cologne in the bottle, but not the mouthwash. Get a haircut, shave [best] or neatly trim any facial hair, and do your nails. Ladies should use makeup sparingly. A touch of color on the lips and cheeks, and minimal mascara is acceptable. Go easy on the jewelry, and ALWAYS wear a nice [but not extravagant] wrist watch. Bring a nice pen and pocket notepad. At very least, confirm the names and spelling of each interviewer, and write them down. Tell them you appreciate the interview opportunity and their time. Always send a thank you note to each and every person who interviewed you and reemphasize your interest in the position. Do this 2-3 days after the interview to show you have given it some thought.

what about female engineers?

Serbian.matematika said:
what about female engineers?

Short shorts and skimpy tanktop. That'll do it. :eek:

Again, just like males, go for a conservative style suit. No scents or anything like that.

I got a job! Woohoo!

I start in 2 weeks. Bonus!

Congrats! and good luck.

JasonRox said:
I got a job! Woohoo!

I start in 2 weeks. Bonus!
Yay! Go get 'em!

Cool, congrats! What kind of work will you be doing?

mattmns said:
Cool, congrats! What kind of work will you be doing?

I'll be doing office work. It'll mostly be doing some purchasing, accounting and finance.

That's a full-time job. I have other part-time jobs on the wait list right now.