Tensor Conventions for Contravariant and Covariant Notation

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, a "question of vocabulary" refers to an unclear or unfamiliar word or phrase, and having a strong vocabulary is important for effective communication and understanding. Ways to improve vocabulary include reading, actively seeking out new words, and engaging in conversations. Vocabulary can impact our perception of the world and it is possible to have a strong vocabulary, but unlikely to have a "perfect" one due to the ever-evolving nature of language.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If a tensor acts on V x V* x V, do we say that it is

i. 1 time contravariant, 1 time covariant, then 1 time contravariant

ii. 2 times contravariant, 1 time covariant

iii. 1 time covariantt, 2 times contravariant

vi. there is no convention

Physics news on Phys.org
The tensor is neithzer covariant nor contravariant, it's an invariant geometrical object. However, in the canonical basis of the tensor product of spaces under discussion its components are

[tex] T=T^{i}{}_{j}{}^{k} e_{i}\otimes e^{j}\otimes e_{k} [/tex]

So which one is it ?i, ii, iii or iv ?

for this

The correct answer would be ii. 2 times contravariant, 1 time covariant. This is because the notation for tensors follows the order of the spaces they act on in a specific order, with contravariant spaces written first and covariant spaces written last. In this case, the tensor acts on two contravariant spaces and one covariant space, so the notation would be 2 times contravariant, 1 time covariant. This follows the standard convention for tensor notation.

1. What is a "question of vocabulary"?

A "question of vocabulary" refers to a specific word or phrase that is unclear or unfamiliar to the person asking the question. It can also refer to a broader discussion about the importance of using precise and accurate language in communication.

2. Why is it important to have a strong vocabulary?

Having a strong vocabulary is important because it allows for more effective communication. A larger vocabulary allows you to express yourself more precisely and accurately, and also helps you understand others better.

3. How can I improve my vocabulary?

There are many ways to improve your vocabulary, including reading books, articles, and other written materials, actively seeking out new words and their definitions, and using flashcards or other memorization techniques. Additionally, engaging in conversations and discussions with others can also help expand your vocabulary.

4. Can vocabulary impact our perception of the world?

Yes, vocabulary can impact our perception of the world. The words we use to describe things can shape how we think about them and how we understand the world around us. Having a limited vocabulary can also limit our ability to fully express and comprehend complex ideas.

5. Is it possible to have a "perfect" vocabulary?

It is unlikely that someone would have a "perfect" vocabulary, as language and vocabulary are constantly evolving and there will always be new words and phrases to learn. However, it is possible to have a strong and extensive vocabulary that allows for effective communication and understanding.