Understanding Arcsin and L'Hopital: Finding the Limit of (arcsin(2x))/x^3

• Thread starter idris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    l'hopital
In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of (arcsin(2x))/x^3 as x->0 and the use of L'Hopital's rule. The speaker initially has difficulty proving that it's valid to use L'Hopital's rule, but later realizes that they need to review their trigonometry notes. Another person explains that the limit of arcsin(y) as y->0 is 0. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for reminding them of this fact.
idris
Hey guys, have a questions about L'Hopital and arcsin.

The question is to find the limit of (arcsin(2x))/x^3 as x->0. I can find the limit no problem just by applying L'Hopital, but I am having difficulty proving that it's valid to use L'Hopital with the function, because with f(x)=arcsin(2x), the limit of arcsin(2x) as x->0 is 2x, rather than 0 or infinity as is required. I think I may have to express arcsin(2x) as a ratio and then apply L'Hopital again, but I can't figure out how to do that. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
that is strange, I thought lim (y ->0) arcsin(y) = 0

I thought that for very small values of sin or arcsin, sin(x) roughly = x? So that if you take the limit as x->0, it will never be 0, but just the input? This is hard to explain - the function doesn't "get closer" to anything as it approaches 0, it just oscillates around the value inputted - so it can't really be said to have a limit as x->0?

Or is that all totally off-base?

EDIT: Yeah, it is. I just needed to read over my trig notes a bit closer. Thanks malawi for putting me back on track...!

Last edited:
idris said:
I thought that for very small values of sin or arcsin, sin(x) roughly = x? So that if you take the limit as x->0, it will never be 0, but just the input? This is hard to explain - the function doesn't "get closer" to anything as it approaches 0, it just oscillates around the value inputted - so it can't really be said to have a limit as x->0?

Or is that all totally off-base?

EDIT: Yeah, it is. I just needed to read over my trig notes a bit closer. Thanks malawi for putting me back on track...!

No, the limit, as x--> 0 is NUMBER. In general, if f(x) is a continuous function,
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrowa}f(g(x))= f(\lim_{x\rightarrowa}g(x))[/itex].

1. What is the definition of Arcsin?

Arcsin, or inverse sine, is a mathematical function that gives the angle whose sine is a given number. It is the inverse function of the sine function, and is commonly denoted as arcsin(x) or sin-1(x).

2. How do you find the derivative of Arcsin?

The derivative of Arcsin is found using the L'Hopital's rule, which states that the derivative of a function can be found by taking the limit of the quotient of the derivative of the numerator and the derivative of the denominator, as the two approach the same value. In the case of Arcsin, this rule is used to find the derivative of sin(x).

3. What is the range of values for Arcsin?

The range of values for Arcsin is between -π/2 and π/2, or between -90° and 90°. This is because the sine function has a range of -1 to 1, and Arcsin is the inverse of sine, so it returns the angle that produces the given value of sine.

4. How is Arcsin used in real-life applications?

Arcsin is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve problems involving angles and sine functions. It is also commonly used in trigonometry and calculus to find the inverse of sine and to calculate derivatives.

5. What are some common mistakes when using L'Hopital's rule to find the derivative of Arcsin?

Some common mistakes when using L'Hopital's rule to find the derivative of Arcsin include forgetting to take the limit as the two values approach the same value, not properly simplifying the quotient before taking the limit, and not using the chain rule to find the derivative of the numerator and denominator. It is important to carefully follow the steps of L'Hopital's rule to avoid these mistakes and accurately find the derivative of Arcsin.