What is the analytical method for finding the composition of a function?

Continuing this pattern, we get:f(f(f(f(f(f(x)))))) = x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2) (1 + x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2)) (1 + x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2) (1 + x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2)))In summary, f(f(f(f(f(f(x)))))) can be written as a product of x and a series of nested polynomials, each one being the previous polynomial multiplied by (1 + x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2)).
Feldoh

Homework Statement

Well its not really a problem, I'm just trying to see it there's a different method to solve the problem. My textbooks gives a CAS problem:

Find [tex]f(f(f(f(f(f(x))))))[/tex] if [tex]f(x)= x^2+x[/tex]

Homework Equations

None (or atleast that I know of)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's a problem that's supposed to be done on a calculator that's what I did, and got the right answer. I was just wondering if there is an easy analytical way to find the equation, well, other then manually "plugging-in the function" I can do that just fine. I was just wondering if there is any other possible way that I'm not seeing to find the equation. Any help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) = x(x+1)

Does that help?

Feldoh said:

Homework Statement

Well its not really a problem, I'm just trying to see it there's a different method to solve the problem. My textbooks gives a CAS problem:

Find [tex]f(f(f(f(f(f(x))))))[/tex] if [tex]f(x)= x^2+x[/tex]

Homework Equations

None (or atleast that I know of)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's a problem that's supposed to be done on a calculator that's what I did, and got the right answer. I was just wondering if there is an easy analytical way to find the equation, well, other then manually "plugging-in the function" I can that. I was just wondering if there is any other possible way that I'm not seeing to find the equation. Any help is much appreciated

EnumaElish said:
f(x) = x(x+1)

Does that help?
Not a great deal! :)
Just "manually plugging in". Do it one step at a time:
f(x)= x2+ x so
f(f(x))= (x2+ x)2+ (x2+ x)= [x4+ 4x3+ x2]+ [x2+ x]
= x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x

f(f(f(x)))= f(x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x)
= (x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x)2+ (x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x)

and continue. Tedious but straightforward.

HallsofIvy said:
Not a great deal! :)
Just "manually plugging in". Do it one step at a time:
f(x)= x2+ x so
f(f(x))= (x2+ x)2+ (x2+ x)= [x4+ 4x3+ x2]+ [x2+ x]
= x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x

f(f(f(x)))= f(x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x)
= (x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x)2+ (x4+ 4x3+ 2x2+ x)

and continue. Tedious but straightforward.

Well, yes I can do that, but as you said it's tedious.. But I guess there's no other way to find the function that you could think of? Just seems like there should be some better way :-/

f(x) = x(x+1)

Does that help?

Well unless you can do something with that other then "manually plugging in" not that much unfortunately. XD

Last edited:
It is a labelled as a CAS (Computer Algebra System) problem. So it's probably meant to be tedious if you do it by hand. With a machine, it's pretty easy. No doubt a clever person could probably come up with expressions for the coefficients, but I don't think it's worth it.

HallsofIvy and Feldoh, think again about EnumaElish's post:
f(x) = x(x+1)

What would f(f(x)) be?? [] ( [] + 1 )
(I put boxes where the x's are)
Replace each box with x + 1
Thus, you end up with [x+1] ( [x+1] + 1)
f(f(x))= (x+1)(x+2)

Repeat again to do f( f(f(x)) )
lather, rinse, repeat a few times...

drpizza said:
HallsofIvy and Feldoh, think again about EnumaElish's post:
f(x) = x(x+1)

What would f(f(x)) be?? [] ( [] + 1 )
(I put boxes where the x's are)
Replace each box with x + 1
Thus, you end up with [x+1] ( [x+1] + 1)
f(f(x))= (x+1)(x+2)

Repeat again to do f( f(f(x)) )
lather, rinse, repeat a few times...

No, it's not. For one thing, you don't just replace x by x+1, you replace it by the function x(x+1). you would have (x(x+1))(x(x+1)+1). That doesn't seem to me to be an improvement. Obviously, since f(x) is quadratic, f(f(x)) is fourth degree, not another quadratic. Maybe you shouldn't use such a strong shampoo!

HallsofIvy said:
No, it's not. For one thing, you don't just replace x by x+1, you replace it by the function x(x+1). you would have (x(x+1))(x(x+1)+1). That doesn't seem to me to be an improvement. Obviously, since f(x) is quadratic, f(f(x)) is fourth degree, not another quadratic. Maybe you shouldn't use such a strong shampoo!

You're correct. Oh my God, that was such a horrible mistake on my part. I don't know why I wanted that to be true. Shame on me.

f(x) = x(x+1)
f(f(x)) = x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2)
f(f(f(x))) = x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2) (1 + x (1 + x) (1 + x + x^2))

Clearly there is a pattern.

1. What is a composition of a function?

A composition of a function is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions to create a new function. It is denoted by writing one function inside the other, such as f(g(x)).

2. How do you find the composition of two functions?

To find the composition of two functions, you first evaluate the inner function (g(x)) using the given input value. Then, take that result and plug it into the outer function (f(x)) to get the final output.

3. What is the domain and range of a composition of functions?

The domain of a composition of functions is the set of all input values that can be used for the inner function. The range is the set of all output values that can be obtained from the outer function.

4. Can the order of functions be changed when composing them?

Yes, the order of functions can be changed when composing them. However, it is important to note that changing the order may result in a different final output.

5. What is the purpose of using a composition of functions?

The purpose of using a composition of functions is to create a new function that can model more complex relationships between variables. It also allows for the combination of different mathematical operations to solve problems.