AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book?

In summary: Physics B, but not as much for Physics C.In summary, the person is studying AP Physics B on their own and has a calculus-based textbook but is unsure if it is suitable for the AP Physics B exam. They are asking if AP Physics C is more advanced and if it is possible to use the book without knowledge of calculus. They also mention difficulty finding resources for the exam and suggest borrowing books or asking a teacher for help. They also mention that the textbook they have may not be as helpful for AP Physics C.
UnleashedFury
Hi, I'm studying AP Physics B (Algebra Based) on my own, and I have a calculus based book: Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett. I haven't taken calculus yet, and I don't want to spend $100 on another textbook (I got this one from a friend).

Does AP Physics C (Calculus based) add to Physics B or is it a more advanced form of physics B and will it be possible to use this book with no knowledge of calculus, and can I use it for the AP Physics B exam?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
UnleashedFury said:
Hi, I'm studying AP Physics B (Algebra Based) on my own, and I have a calculus based book: Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett. I haven't taken calculus yet, and I don't want to spend $100 on another textbook (I got this one from a friend).

Does AP Physics C (Calculus based) add to Physics B or is it a more advanced form of physics B and will it be possible to use this book with no knowledge of calculus, and can I use it for the AP Physics B exam?

Thanks!

Most calculus-based textbook do not cover modern physics (hydrodynamic, atomic physics, etc) for physics B.

APB is more general and covers many more areas like thermo, nuclear physics, and optics. None of it is too challenging, but its probably not in your textbook. APC goes very in depth on two subjects: mechanics and E&M. If you don't want to buy another textbook, you should get some sort of AP guide to study for the other things

yeah you can't use Serway's book to study for ap physics B. it doesn't cover E&M and modern physics. If you need books to study for the ap physics B, you can always borrow books from the library or even try asking if your physics teacher will give away books for free. They might do that if they have too many books

proton said:
yeah you can't use Serway's book to study for ap physics B. it doesn't cover E&M and modern physics. If you need books to study for the ap physics B, you can always borrow books from the library or even try asking if your physics teacher will give away books for free. They might do that if they have too many books

High school and public library doesn't have a very complete collection of science book in general. At least in my HS and local library, they didnt have any book for college level class

UnleashedFury said:
You might be able to get away with a 5 if that book covers mechanics and electricity and magnetism. When I did the exam in 2006 about 95% of the multiple choice questions were electromagnetism questions. Well, maybe that's an overexaggeration, but there were a lot of electromagnetism questions.
Well, Physics C's mechanics section is about the same as Physics B's, plus angular momentum, some calculus problems and a few other additions. It isn't too bad. I can't say the same about electromagnetism.
As for resources to prepare for the exam, I used this book.
It's great for Physics B, but for Physics C the textbook you have might be more helpful. (I had Halliday/Resnick)
But like I said, you could probably manage a 5 on the Physics B exam by making sure you have a solid foundation of mechanics and electromagnetism and cramming the rest-- my teacher happened to obtain the past papers for Physics B for us and going through all of them a few days prior to the exam was really helpful.
Good luck with that.

Giancoli's physics for scientists and engineers is a great book

1. What is AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book?

AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book is a course that covers the concepts of mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermal physics using calculus-based mathematical models. It is designed for high school students who have a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus.

2. What is the difference between AP Physics B and AP Physics C?

AP Physics B covers a broader range of topics in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermal physics, while AP Physics C focuses specifically on mechanics and electricity and magnetism. Additionally, AP Physics B does not require the use of calculus, while AP Physics C is calculus-based.

3. Is taking AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book necessary for college?

While it is not a requirement for most colleges, taking AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book can provide a strong foundation for students pursuing a degree in science or engineering. It also demonstrates a strong aptitude for math and science, which can be beneficial for college admissions.

4. What is the format of the AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book exam?

The AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book exam consists of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 70 questions, while the free-response section contains 3 questions. The exam is 3 hours and 15 minutes long.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book exam?

To prepare for the AP Physics B with a Calculus Based Book exam, it is recommended to review course materials, practice with past exams, and utilize resources such as study guides and online review courses. It is also important to fully understand the mathematical concepts and equations used in the course.