What is the Current in this Circuit with Given Values?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the current (i) in a circuit with a 36V voltage source, a 4 ohm resistor, and a current-dependent voltage source (5i). The initial diagram was incorrect, but the corrected version shows a series circuit. The attempted solution involved using V=IR to calculate i as 9A, but it was questioned whether it was that simple. The conversation ends with a request for a clearer problem statement in order to provide further help.
engineer_dave

Homework Statement

I have attached the circuit diagram to this post. I have to find i which I have shown in the diagram. All the voltage and resistor values are also given.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the current for the whole circuit which would be 36/4= 9A but I am not sure that is right. I think I missed something.

Attachments

• Sweet.JPG
    Sweet.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 301
Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram is incorrect. Since it is a series circuit, the current is the same through all three components. So you cannot have a current source of 5i, in series with a current i.

Could you please check the original circuit? After you check the circuit schematic again and fix up the diagram, tell us what equations you think you should use to solve for the values in the circuit.

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Sorry about that, i put the value of the resistance (4ohms) on the diagram. As I said, what I did was use V=IR and calculate i as follows

I= V/R= 36/4= 9A.

Problem is, I am not sure it is this simple.

Attachments

• Sweet.JPG
    Sweet.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 311
What is the thing on the right? Is it a current-dependent voltage source? If so, you need to write the sum of the voltage drops around the circuit, and set the total sum equal to, what?

i don't know what it is which is why this question is here. apparently, you ask more questions than me lol. if u can help me out, please do!

so basically its just (v-36)/4 ?

(v-36)/4= 0??

I'm honestly not able help without a clearer problem statement. Would it be possible for you to scan the question and post that?

I don't know whether I can scan it because it might end up being higher than the upload limit. But the question says Find i for the circuit. There is a 36V on the left and a current dependent voltage source on the right which says 5i. There is a 4 ohm resistor as shown on the diagram. There is also i shown on the diagram with the arrow pointing from left to right. It is a 3 mark question.

I first tried to use V=IR in thinking that i next to the arrow means the initial current which would be I=V/R=36/4= 9A but i think I am wrong

The second, corrected diagram has no more mistakes btw so u can refer to that

1. What is circuit theory?

Circuit theory is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the analysis and design of electrical circuits. It involves the study of components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, and how they interact with each other in a circuit. It is used to predict the behavior of circuits and to design them for specific purposes.

2. Why is circuit theory important?

Circuit theory is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrical circuits and how they work. This knowledge is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and other modern technology. It is also used in power systems to ensure the safe and efficient distribution of electricity.

3. What are the basic laws of circuit theory?

The basic laws of circuit theory are Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the principle of superposition. Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it and inversely proportional to its resistance. Kirchhoff's laws are used to analyze the current and voltage in a circuit, while the principle of superposition states that the total voltage or current in a circuit is the sum of the individual voltages or currents from each source.

4. What are the different types of circuits?

There are three main types of circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, and the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, and the voltage across each component is the same. A series-parallel circuit is a combination of both series and parallel circuits.

5. How is circuit theory used in real-life applications?

Circuit theory is used in a wide range of real-life applications, including electronic devices, power systems, telecommunications, and control systems. It is used to design and analyze circuits for specific purposes, such as amplification, filtering, and modulation. It is also used in the development of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, to ensure safe and efficient electricity generation and distribution.