How to create a solor powered working steam turbine?

In summary, the conversation discussed various options for creating a solar power system, including using mirrors, turbines, and Stirling engines. Suggestions were made for finding materials, such as purchasing mirrors or using an old satellite dish with reflective Mylar attached. Safety precautions were also mentioned due to the concentrated energy from the sun.
douglasg14b
I have my solar power planned out...1200 2 inch mirrors on plywood that will be aimed at the sun and will have a focal pint about 4 feet from the board. i know how to make the steam system but i haven't a clue how to make a working turbine to create electricity.
(steam will be the way of spinning the turbine)
(and where might i get the materials for the turbine?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
See http://www.snm.co.jp/lecture/turbine_1.html (before the Age of Electricity)

acually i am planning on attatching a turbine to an alternator and getting an AC adapter on it to get power from. i just need to know how to make the turbine now

Last edited:
Try finding some small fan blades, fix them on a spindle and fit this arrangement as snugly as feasible in a waterproof cylinder, into which you would direct the steam. The spindle would then drive a electric motor-turned-generator. The efficiency and reliability of any cheap "turbine" setup will be quite low.

more efficient turbine blades

Loren Booda said:
Try finding some small fan blades, fix them on a spindle and fit this arrangement as snugly as feasible in a waterproof cylinder, into which you would direct the steam. The spindle would then drive a electric motor-turned-generator. The efficiency and reliability of any cheap "turbine" setup will be quite low.

Would I be able to purchase more efficient blades?.it dosn't seem like using fan blades is a usable option they are to big and far to ineficient for my pourposes...i have the ability to creat a tight sealed chamber for the turbine to go into but i am trying to find some small blades that i would be able to use(small as in 3inch and then progressivly smaller as i go allong the tube) that are efficient
enough to be able to provide minimal power to a solar heat operated boiler.

edit:eek:n second thought would fan blades used for computer cooling be used? they seem much more efficient that fan blades...but my question is will they melt of warp in the heat of the steam?

edit:edit: is it possible to find a small alternator that 3 or 4 small blades in the turbine would be able to spin?

Last edited:
You may want to post your questions in the Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering section . . . it looks like you already did!

Loren Booda said:
You may want to post your questions in the Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering section . . . it looks like you already did!

hm? it is posted in there

ok then dose anyone have an idea where i might be able to get 1200 2 inch mirrors?

hey doug, i don't think computer heat sink fans ll do the job. hmmm, not sure if it ll work, have u thought of any blower fan??

douglasg14b said:
I have my solar power planned out...1200 2 inch mirrors on plywood

douglasg14b said:
ok then dose anyone have an idea where i might be able to get 1200 2 inch mirrors?

Stick aluminum kitchen foil to the plywood?

Try to find a supercharger at a car dump this is a nice turbine wheel on a axis with nice bearings!

turbocharger. Any glass shop.

yea...no

AlephZero said:
Stick aluminum kitchen foil to the plywood?

um...alephzero putting aluminum foil on a flat surface would no nothing other than give a very poor choppy reflection of the sun in an 4ftx8ft square...im looking for a cheap source of mirrors mirrors so that i can concentrate the sunlight with each mirror so i have 1200 2 inch spots of sunlight focused onto one small area. even if i had a satellite dish and covered it with tin foil it would reflect to the specifications i require.

douglasg14b said:
I have my solar power planned out...1200 2 inch mirrors on plywood that will be aimed at the sun and will have a focal pint about 4 feet from the board. i know how to make the steam system but i haven't a clue how to make a working turbine to create electricity.
(steam will be the way of spinning the turbine)
(and where might i get the materials for the turbine?)

I think this might be what you are looking for.

http://www.greensteamengine.com/

Please share your plans for the solar steam design as I would like to do this myself.

Happy steaming!

Strirling engine

I would suggest you to use a Stirling engine instead.
This engine is built on a close circuit where you do not loose the fluid at each stroke.
Lets be green all the way and loose nothing.

LHR

Here is a thought...

Old satellite dish (I think 40" mesh) with Mylar (98% reflective) attached (formula 77 super glue should do the job). You'll need a tracking motor and control system. Be careful...I think you will get a lot of focused energy.

laurentien said:
I would suggest you to use a Stirling engine instead.
This engine is built on a close circuit where you do not loose the fluid at each stroke.
Lets be green all the way and loose nothing.

LHR
Virtually all steam engines these days are closed loop and we certainly wouldn't suggest an open loop for this application.

Last edited:
douglasg14b said:
um...alephzero putting aluminum foil on a flat surface would no nothing other than give a very poor choppy reflection of the sun in an 4ftx8ft square...im looking for a cheap source of mirrors mirrors so that i can concentrate the sunlight with each mirror so i have 1200 2 inch spots of sunlight focused onto one small area. even if i had a satellite dish and covered it with tin foil it would reflect to the specifications i require.
If you keep the foil flat and smooth, I'm not sure why it would perform poorly. Mirrors are very expensive - this, you can try cheaply. At least give it a quick try.

cmc21us said:
Here is a thought...

Old satellite dish (I think 40" mesh) with Mylar (98% reflective) attached (formula 77 super glue should do the job). You'll need a tracking motor and control system. Be careful...I think you will get a lot of focused energy.
I like it. And yes, good idea to point out that this can get dangerous. Sunlight is 1200 w/m^2, so you can easily concentrate it into something that could burn your eyes or even your skin, start a fire, etc.

1. How does a solar powered steam turbine work?

A solar powered steam turbine works by using the energy from the sun to heat water and create steam. The steam is then directed onto blades attached to a shaft, causing the shaft to rotate. This rotational energy is then converted into electricity by a generator.

2. What materials are needed to create a solar powered steam turbine?

The materials needed for a solar powered steam turbine include a solar panel or array to capture sunlight, a boiler or solar collector to heat water, a steam turbine, a generator, and various pipes and valves to direct the steam flow.

3. How efficient is a solar powered steam turbine?

The efficiency of a solar powered steam turbine can vary depending on the design and materials used. However, on average, it can reach an efficiency of around 20-30%, meaning that 20-30% of the energy from the sun is converted into usable electricity.

4. Can a solar powered steam turbine work at night or on cloudy days?

A solar powered steam turbine relies on sunlight to generate steam and produce electricity, so it will not work at night. However, with advancements in technology, some designs may be able to store excess energy during sunny days and use it during cloudy days or at night.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for a solar powered steam turbine?

Like any other mechanical system, a solar powered steam turbine may require maintenance over time. This can include checking and replacing parts, cleaning and lubricating components, and monitoring the system for any potential issues. Regular maintenance can help ensure the system continues to function efficiently and effectively.