Is the Solution to the Annuity Differential Equation Correct?

In summary, the equation looks correct, but you have to subtract off k at the beginning. And, the deposited amount (k(t)) doesn't change with time, it's just k.
wakko101
I'm trying to figure out the solution to a differential equation that describes the accrued interest on an annuity - rather than a lump sum at the beginning, we're dealing with multiple and regular deposits. The prof implied that we would have to solve for the dif eq'n
S' = k + rS
where k is the deposit, r the interest rate and S(t) the amount of money accrued at time t. I think I've solved for this particular equation (with intinial condition S(0) - So) which is
S(t) = (So + k)e^rt - k
but I have two questions. First, this doesn't seem right in terms of the fact that I'm subtracting k at the end there. And secondly, should k somehow be in terms of t as well (i.e. k(t) since the deposits are regular, i.e. at time t, I will have made k(t) deposits?)

Any insight would be appreicated...

Thanks,
W.

Physics news on Phys.org
wakko101 said:
I'm trying to figure out the solution to a differential equation that describes the accrued interest on an annuity - rather than a lump sum at the beginning, we're dealing with multiple and regular deposits. The prof implied that we would have to solve for the dif eq'n
S' = k + rS
where k is the deposit, r the interest rate and S(t) the amount of money accrued at time t. I think I've solved for this particular equation (with intinial condition S(0) - So) which is
S(t) = (So + k)e^rt - k
but I have two questions. First, this doesn't seem right in terms of the fact that I'm subtracting k at the end there.
Look what happens when t= 0. e^0= 1 so S(0)= S0+ k- k. that's why you have to subtract off k- initially, you don't deposit k dollars at t= 0.

And secondly, should k somehow be in terms of t as well (i.e. k(t) since the deposits are regular, i.e. at time t, I will have made k(t) deposits?)
No! k is the amount of money you deposit each month and that is a constant. At time t (months) you will have kt (k times t) not k(t) (k of t).

Any insight would be appreicated...

Thanks,
W.

thanks! but, another question, then...does that mean I have to start with the dif eq'n
S' = kt + rS ?

Cheers. =)

What is an annuity differential equation?

An annuity differential equation is a mathematical equation that models the behavior of a financial instrument known as an annuity. An annuity is a type of investment that involves a series of equal payments made at regular intervals. The differential equation describes the relationship between the value of an annuity and various factors, such as interest rates and time.

Why is an annuity differential equation useful?

An annuity differential equation is useful because it allows us to predict the future value of an annuity based on different variables. This can help individuals and organizations make informed decisions about their investments and financial planning.

What are some common variables in an annuity differential equation?

The variables in an annuity differential equation can vary depending on the specific equation being used. However, some common variables include the value of the annuity, interest rates, time, and the frequency of payments. Other variables may also be included to account for factors such as inflation or fees.

How is an annuity differential equation solved?

An annuity differential equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration. The specific method used will depend on the equation and the variables involved.

What are some real-world applications of annuity differential equations?

Annuity differential equations have many real-world applications, including in finance, economics, and insurance. They are commonly used to analyze and predict the behavior of annuities and other financial instruments. They can also be applied to other situations involving regular payments, such as mortgage payments or loan repayments.