What Is the Minimum Familiarity Required to Request a Letter of Recommendation?

In summary: So that everyone can pick out someone they are interested in and do some research with that person.In summary, it's that time of year for college and grad school applications and the conversation is about how the person is struggling with finding someone to write their third letter of recommendation. They have two professors in mind, but one is a sticking point and they are worried about asking someone they haven't interacted with recently. They plan to approach the issue by visiting the professor's office and providing a resume. The conversation also touches on the importance of networking with professors and the role of research in getting recommendation letters.
jhicks
It's that time of year again when everyone is applying to college/grad school! I myself am wrapping up my applications to the 3 uni's I have chosen to pursue attending. I'm graduating with honors, have a decent GRE and so on - all the things that look good on paper - but I am really getting stuck on letters of recommendation.

The uni's I am applying to ask for three letters from professors from your undergrad institution. I've gotten to know a couple professors, and I currently work with one who is supervising my honors thesis, and another I intend to work this spring/summer for, but the third one is a real sticking point, and I'm stressing quite a bit over who to ask to write my third recommendation letter.

I have a person in mind, but it's been a semester since I took a class with him. I went to his office hours a few times, and we've talked in the hallways some since, but I wonder what you all believe is an acceptable standard of familiarity before you can ask someone to write a recommendation? On one hand, I really want to go to grad school and I think his recommendation would be good, but on the other hand I really don't want to bug him - though I know him to be really amicable.

What are your thoughts? How should I approach the issue? My current plan is to drop by his office this week, ask him if he could vouch for me, and supply him with a resume and such since it's been awhile. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't your school have required undergrad research under a professor? We have to take 3 credits of it, ideally 1 per quarter with a different prof. This is to make sure you make some contacts...

Seems like you're SOL, so your only choice is to contact that guy.

Also, how are you going to get Guy #2 to write you a letter if you haven't worked for him yet?

Of course just ask him! Writing recommendations is part of every professor's job, and he certainly won't be bothered or insulted. If he doesn't remember you or otherwise seems unwilling, he'll let you know and then you should just drop it. I knew someone who insisted once... and the professor *did* write him a letter, but...

yeah, it's part of their job description

Poop-Loops said:
Doesn't your school have required undergrad research under a professor? We have to take 3 credits of it, ideally 1 per quarter with a different prof. This is to make sure you make some contacts...
No, in fact it's fairly rare at my school. ~5-10% of my class of 5500 do any form of research, I'd say.

Also, how are you going to get Guy #2 to write you a letter if you haven't worked for him yet?

I know him already and am currently taking a grad class with him that I'm acing. He's not exactly my advisor, but he definitely knows my positive qualities.

I do feel like I am SoL to an extent, but only because I regret not networking a bit better and getting to know my professors outside of lecture. All of the ones I have gotten to know more or less do some really neat things that they don't mention at all in class. Thanks for the words of encouragement, Jim Kata/TMFKAN64.

jhicks said:
No, in fact it's fairly rare at my school. ~5-10% of my class of 5500 do any form of research, I'd say.

I meant out of the physics people. It's a requirement for the physics BS here. Can't speak for other degrees.

I know him already and am currently taking a grad class with him that I'm acing. He's not exactly my advisor, but he definitely knows my positive qualities.

Cool. Having taken a grad course will be a bonus.

I do feel like I am SoL to an extent, but only because I regret not networking a bit better and getting to know my professors outside of lecture. All of the ones I have gotten to know more or less do some really neat things that they don't mention at all in class.

I'm at the opposite end at the moment. I'm taking an E&M course and my prof who is really into biophysics always tries to stick his pet projects into the course work. "Okay, so this is E&M. Now... what if we add in a heat bath?" Stuff like that... bleah...

But I know what you are saying. It sounds like they don't emphasize getting to know your professors enough at schools. They actually added a 1-credit course at my school that is an overview of what all of the physics profs are doing research on.

1. Can I request a letter of recommendation from someone I do not know personally?

It is generally recommended to request letters of recommendation from individuals who know you well and can speak to your skills and qualifications. However, if you have a valid reason for choosing someone you do not know personally, such as their expertise in your field of study, it is acceptable to do so.

2. How should I go about requesting a letter of recommendation?

It is important to make the request in a professional manner. It is best to ask in person if possible, but if not, a polite email or written request will suffice. Be sure to provide the person with all the necessary information, such as the deadline, the specific purpose of the letter, and any relevant materials they may need.

3. How many letters of recommendation should I include in my application?

This can vary depending on the specific requirements of the application. Generally, it is recommended to have at least 2-3 letters of recommendation, but it is important to carefully read the instructions and only include the number of letters requested. Including too many letters may be seen as excessive and could reflect poorly on your application.

4. Can I see the content of the letter before it is submitted?

It is not common practice for letter writers to show the content of their letter to the applicant. It is important to trust that they will write a strong and honest letter based on their knowledge of you. However, if you have concerns or specific points you would like them to address, it is acceptable to politely request that they include them in their letter.

5. Is it appropriate to ask for a letter of recommendation from a family member?

It is generally not recommended to request a letter of recommendation from a family member, as their opinion may be seen as biased. It is best to choose individuals who can provide a more objective assessment of your skills and qualifications. If you have a family member who is also a professional in your field, it may be acceptable to request a letter from them, but be sure to disclose the relationship to the recipient of the letter.