Double Integration to Find Volume

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a region bounded by the surface z=x^2+y^2 and the planes z=0 and z=10. This can be solved using a double integration, considering the area of integration as a circle of radius 10 in the xy-plane and using cylindrical change of variables. An alternative method is to imagine the solid as consisting of thin horizontal disks, with the disk at height z having area x^2+y^2=z and volume dz. By adding the volumes of all the disks, the total volume of the region can be found.
doppelganger007

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region inside the surface z=x^2+y^2 and between z=0 and z=10

Homework Equations

x^2+y^2=10

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I have to use some sort of double integration to find this volume, but I'm not really sure where to begin with the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\iiint_V dV[/tex] the upper curve is [tex]z=10[/tex] the lower curve is [tex]z=0[/tex] the area of integration in [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] is a circle of radius 10. Now use cyclindrical change of variable.

hmm...I may try that if I can't find an alternative, but is there any way to do this problem with a double integration and not a triple integration? because the section I'm working with is strictly double integration

That's a paraboloid. Since you have "flat" bottom and top I recommend you imagine the solid consisting of thin horizontal pieces. It should be obvious that the piece at height z is a disk satisfying [itex]x^2+ y^2= z[/itex]. What is the area of that disk? If you think of the disk as having thickness "dz", what is its volume? Now "add" the volumes of all those disks.

1. What is double integration to find volume?

Double integration is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape by integrating a function twice. It involves using two different variables, typically x and y, to define the boundaries of the shape.

2. Why is double integration used to find volume?

Double integration is used because it can handle more complex shapes than single integration. It allows for the calculation of volume for shapes with varying cross-sectional areas, such as cones or pyramids.

3. What is the process for using double integration to find volume?

The first step is to set up a double integral with the appropriate function and boundaries. Then, integrate the function with respect to one variable, followed by the other. The resulting value will be the volume of the shape.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integration to find volume?

Double integration is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of objects with irregular shapes, such as fluid containers or electronic components. It is also used in calculus to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integration to find volume?

Double integration can become complex and time-consuming for very irregular shapes or shapes with multiple boundaries. It also assumes that the shape has a continuous volume, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.