Question: Adding Strong Acid to Buffer

In summary, a student added 7.80 mL of a 0.400 M solution to a beaker containing 135 mL of an acetic acid buffer with a pH of 5.00. The total molarity of acid and conjugate base in the buffer was 0.1 M. Using the Henderson-Hasselbach equation, the ratio of base to acid was found to be 1.74. The moles of acid and base were calculated to be 4.93*10^-3 and 8.57*10^-3, respectively. The resulting pH was found to be 4.59, resulting in a change of -0.40. However, there may have been an error in the
sam.
A beaker with 135 mL of an acetic acid buffer with a pH of 5.00 is sitting on a benchtop. The total molarity of acid and conjugate base in this buffer is 0.1 M. A student adds 7.80 mL of a 0.400 M solution to the beaker. How much will the pH change? The pKa of acetic acid is 4.76.

What I did was find the total number of moles of acid + base = 0.0135. Then using the Henderson-Hasselbach equation, pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid]) I found the ratio of [base]/[acid] to be 1.74. Then using these two equations I found the moles of acid to be 4.93*10^-3 and base = 5.45*10^-3. Next I found the moles of HCl = 0.00312 mol and substracted that from the base and added it to the acid so: acid = 8.05*10^-3 and base = 5.45*10^-3. Now I put these values into pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid]) and got the pH to be 4.59...therefore the change would be -0.40...But I think this value is too high...I think it's supposed to be lower. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sam. said:
A beaker with 135 mL of an acetic acid buffer with a pH of 5.00 is sitting on a benchtop. The total molarity of acid and conjugate base in this buffer is 0.1 M. A student adds 7.80 mL of a 0.400 M solution to the beaker. How much will the pH change? The pKa of acetic acid is 4.76.

What I did was find the total number of moles of acid + base = 0.0135. Then using the Henderson-Hasselbach equation, pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid]) I found the ratio of [base]/[acid] to be 1.74. Then using these two equations I found the moles of acid to be 4.93*10^-3 and base = 5.45*10^-3.
No, it's 8.57*10^(-3) moles.

Your calculations seem to be correct, so I don't think you went wrong anywhere. The decrease in pH of 0.40 is reasonable considering that a strong acid (HCl) was added to the buffer. The addition of HCl would shift the equilibrium towards the formation of more acetic acid, leading to a decrease in pH. This change in pH is also supported by the fact that the pKa of acetic acid is 4.76, which means that it is a weak acid and its pH is sensitive to changes in concentration. So, overall, your calculations and result seem to be accurate.

1. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a type of solution that is able to resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is typically made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. What happens when a strong acid is added to a buffer solution?

When a strong acid is added to a buffer solution, it reacts with the weak conjugate base in the solution to form its conjugate acid. This reaction helps to maintain the pH of the solution and prevents it from becoming too acidic.

3. How does a buffer solution prevent large changes in pH?

A buffer solution works by utilizing the principle of Le Chatelier's principle. When an acid or base is added to the solution, the equilibrium between the weak acid and its conjugate base shifts to maintain a relatively constant pH.

4. Can a buffer solution be used to neutralize a strong acid?

While a buffer solution may be able to resist small changes in pH when a strong acid is added, it is not able to completely neutralize a strong acid. A strong base would be needed to fully neutralize a strong acid.

5. How do you calculate the pH of a buffer solution after adding a strong acid?

To calculate the pH of a buffer solution after adding a strong acid, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log (conjugate base/weak acid). The pKa is the acid dissociation constant of the weak acid in the buffer solution.