How many bonds and pi bonds does glycine have?

In summary, the glycine molecule has a total of 10 bonds. There are three types of hybridizations at the N and C atoms - sp3, sp3, and sp2. The molecule has one pi bond.
ace123
[SOLVED] molecular orbital model

I have a few quick questions:

consider the structure of glycine
a) indicate the hybridizations at each N and C atom in the molecule?
I got sp3, sp3, and sp2

I don't have a problem with that question

b) what is the total number of bonds in the molecule? Not quite sure what this means do i just add them up counting the double bond as 2? So any help would be appreciated

c) what is the total number of pi bonds in the molecule? I think it's 1 because the oxygen at the end has 2p orbitals holding just lone pairs

My basic problem is b. and what do I? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

yes count double bond as 2

1 double bond = 1 pi bond + 1 sigma bond

only 1 double bond so only 1 pi bond (its the C=O) that has the pi bond, not the O in (C-O) at the end.

Okay so i looked up the answer for b) and it said 10. How is it 10? Did i draw it wrong or I just can't count? And about c) i thought their was a pi bond between the C and O because they each have an empty p orbital? Or that's wrong b/c the p orbitals on the O are holding lone pairs?

Thanks for answering

Um yea ignore the question for b) I actually added wrong:redface:

a pi bond is the SIDE-BY-SIDE overlap of 2 p orbitals (one from O, one from C) that each have 1 electron in them. These p orbitals are unhybridized.

The orbitals that are holding the lone pairs on O are HYBRIDIZED sp2 orbitals. They are not p orbitals that are empty.

but what about the left over p orbital? Like if it's sp2 hydridized there should be a p left right?

ahh I am sorry. I was trying to overlap a p orbital twice. Thank You

1. What is the molecular orbital model?

The molecular orbital model is a theoretical framework used to describe the electronic structure and behavior of molecules. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and describes the distribution of electrons in molecular orbitals, which are regions of space where the probability of finding an electron is high.

2. How does the molecular orbital model differ from the Lewis dot structure?

The Lewis dot structure is a simplified representation of molecular bonding, where electrons are shown as dots around the atoms. The molecular orbital model takes into account the wave-like nature of electrons and describes their behavior in terms of orbitals that encompass the entire molecule, rather than just individual atoms.

3. What is the significance of the bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals?

Bonding molecular orbitals are formed by the constructive overlap of atomic orbitals, resulting in a lower energy state and a stable bond between atoms. Antibonding molecular orbitals, on the other hand, are formed by the destructive overlap of atomic orbitals and have higher energies, making them less stable. The presence of both types of orbitals determines the strength and stability of a chemical bond.

4. Can the molecular orbital model be applied to all molecules?

Yes, the molecular orbital model can be applied to all molecules, regardless of their size or complexity. However, for larger molecules, the calculations can become more complex and require advanced computational methods.

5. How does the molecular orbital model explain molecular properties?

The molecular orbital model provides insight into various molecular properties, such as bond order, bond length, and magnetic behavior. It also helps to explain phenomena such as resonance, hybridization, and the delocalization of electrons in molecules. By studying the molecular orbitals, we can understand how the electrons are distributed and how they contribute to the overall properties of a molecule.