Apostol Differential Equations & Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses different textbooks for Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, particularly Apostol's Multivariable Calculus textbook which also covers DEs. The speaker recommends purchasing Tenenbaum's ODE book and Shilov's Linear Algebra book instead of relying solely on Apostol's text. They also suggest using a combination of theory from Shilov and Apostol and problems from a Schaum's book for effective learning.
rocomath
I'm looking into buying a cheap & introductory/mid-level textbooks on Differential Equations and Linear Algebra.

My question is, as looking through Apostol's contents for his Multivariable Calculus textbook. I notice sections on DEs as well, would his his text sufficient for those two subjects mentioned above? I plan on purchasing Tenenbaum for ODE and Shilov for Linear Algebra, or would it be better to buy Apostol's and get all 3.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this is an old thread but it is probably a common question so...

I own all three actually. I have the first edition of Apostol II but I haven't started working in it yet (Finishing up Vol I first). I scanned the pages of Differential Eqs and there is about 100 pages of the book dedicated to ODES and there is much theory involved. Also Linear Algebra isn't covered in the edition of the book that I have but from what I hear his treatment is sufficient but you are better off getting a standalone book. Since Tenenbaum and Shilov are both Dover Books (10$) I would recommend picking them up for the two subjects. Tenenbaum's text is nice and thick with a ton of interesting problems (and a ton of motivation as should be expected from an ODE book). The Shilov book you should be warned appears to be written at the first year graduate level and requires certain mathematical maturity and the material seems to differ from what you would learn in an undergraduate class (at least in my school). Shilov has a lot more theory then you would normally get from a first (or possibly second) course in Linear Algebra which is good if you are already strong at problem solving (or if you pick up on problem solving methods quickly). I'd recommend the one-two punch method. Tackle theory using Shilov and Apostol (for LA and Multi) and then tackle problems by purchasing a schaum's book or two (I have 3000 Problems in Calculus and I'm going to purchase a similar such text for LA). This method seems effective for me but beware that some books from schaum's have myriad errors but it can be fun to correct them. Some books such as Schaum's Physics For Scientists and Engineers are so errored that they are unreadable.

1. What is the main focus of "Apostol Differential Equations & Linear Algebra"?

The main focus of "Apostol Differential Equations & Linear Algebra" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques in both differential equations and linear algebra, and their applications to various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in mathematics?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners in mathematics as it starts with basic concepts and builds upon them gradually. However, some prior knowledge of calculus and linear algebra would be beneficial for better understanding.

3. What sets "Apostol Differential Equations & Linear Algebra" apart from other textbooks on the same subject?

One of the main differences is that this book presents the material in a rigorous and concise manner, with a focus on understanding the underlying mathematical principles rather than just memorizing formulas. It also includes numerous real-world examples and exercises to reinforce the concepts.

4. Can this book be used as a reference for self-study?

Yes, this book can be used as a reference for self-study as it provides clear explanations and examples, along with a variety of exercises with varying levels of difficulty to test and improve understanding.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying this book?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is recommended as prerequisites for studying this book. However, the author provides a brief review of these topics in the beginning chapters for those who may need a refresher.