I don't know how to calculate a tennis racquet head size thanks

In summary, The conversation is about the area of a tennis racquet head size and how to calculate it. There are various shapes for an "egg shape" so it is suggested to treat the head as an oval or "ellipse" for which there is a formula for area. Some additional suggestions were to use integration or to estimate the area by fitting an ellipse inside the stringbed of the racquet. Overall, it seems that accurately calculating the area of this particular racquet may be difficult.
YKD
Hi everybody,
The area of a tennis racquet head size is like an egg shape, not oval shape.
how to calculate it?

Thank you so much for your help ^_^

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately there are just too many different shapes for an "egg shape" for there to be any good formula. I think you will have to approximate the area by treating it as if the tennis racquet head were an oval or an "ellipse" for which there is an area formula: [itex]A= \pi ab[/itex] where a and b are half the distance across the racquet head measured where it is narrowest and widest.

In other words, you are really using the formula for area of a circle, but, because an "ellipse" does not have a single "radius", instead of r2, you multiply together the values for smallest "radius" and largest "radius".

Thank you, HallsofIvy ^_^
The headsize of my racquet is 89.5 square inch that someone said
but the brand said 93.
Using W x L x 0.8 is closer to this area.
I should use 22/7 x a x b or W x L x 0.8 to caculate the racquet headsize?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=LMP

I'd like to calculate it by myself.

Thanks!

YKD said:
Thank you, HallsofIvy ^_^
The headsize of my racquet is 89.5 square inch that someone said
but the brand said 93.
Using W x L x 0.8 is closer to this area.
I should use 22/7 x a x b or W x L x 0.8 to caculate the racquet headsize?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=LMP

I'd like to calculate it by myself.

Thanks!

Yes that would be a good idea.

Another idea to do might to be use Integration (just plot half the racquet onto the aces, find the area under the curve, then multiply by 2), though I'm not sure if you have done that before, but either way, it probably will be more accurate.

Invictious said:
Yes that would be a good idea.

Another idea to do might to be use Integration (just plot half the racquet onto the aces, find the area under the curve, then multiply by 2), though I'm not sure if you have done that before, but either way, it probably will be more accurate.

It seems quite complicated...
Almost forget to add:
My racquet stringbed (hoop not included)
length:12.25 inch, width 9 inch

Could you please help me calculate it from the link I posted?

Thank you ^_^

YKD said:
My racquet stringbed (hoop not included)
length:12.25 inch, width 9 inch

I took the picture and put an ellipse with that ratio inside the stringbed and found that it fit fairly well. If it touches on the top, bottom, and two sides there's a tiny bit of space on the diagonals (thus egg-shaped rather than elliptical) so whatever area we calculate should probably be rounded up sooner than down.

12.25 * 9 * pi / 4 is about 86.6, so I'd say an area of 87 or 88 square inches wouldn't be out of line.

Attachments

• racquet.jpg
    racquet.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 765
CRGreathouse said:
I took the picture and put an ellipse with that ratio inside the stringbed and found that it fit fairly well. If it touches on the top, bottom, and two sides there's a tiny bit of space on the diagonals (thus egg-shaped rather than elliptical) so whatever area we calculate should probably be rounded up sooner than down.

12.25 * 9 * pi / 4 is about 86.6, so I'd say an area of 87 or 88 square inches wouldn't be out of line.

Thank you very much, CRGreathouse ^_^

Perhaps this racquet is difficult to calculate,right?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=RQIS1T

1. What is a tennis racquet head size?

A tennis racquet head size refers to the surface area of the racquet's head, which is the part of the racquet that comes into contact with the ball. It is typically measured in square inches or square centimeters.

2. How do I measure the head size of my tennis racquet?

To measure the head size of your tennis racquet, you will need a ruler or measuring tape. Place the racquet on a flat surface and measure the width and height of the head in either inches or centimeters. Then, multiply the width and height to get the total head size in square inches or square centimeters.

3. Why is the head size of a tennis racquet important?

The head size of a tennis racquet can affect the power and control of your shots. A larger head size typically means a larger sweet spot, which can provide more power and forgiveness on off-center shots. A smaller head size may offer more control and precision in shot placement.

4. What is a standard head size for a tennis racquet?

The standard head size for a tennis racquet is between 95-110 square inches. However, this can vary depending on the player's skill level, playing style, and personal preferences.

5. How do I choose the right head size for my tennis racquet?

Choosing the right head size for your tennis racquet depends on your playing style and level of experience. If you are a beginner or intermediate player, a larger head size may be more forgiving and easier to use. Advanced players may prefer a smaller head size for more control and precision. It is important to try out different racquets and consult with a tennis coach or expert for personalized recommendations.